Late delivery of a product

Försenad vara - Engelska

Is your product delayed or missing? Find out what matters regards compensation and cancellation of the purchase when the delivery is delayed or absent.

Cooperation:This website is co-funded by the European Union.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

When is a product considered delayed?

By law, a product is delayed if any of the following situations arise:

  • You did not receive the product within the promised time. The promised time is the time stated when you make the purchase, for example, in the purchase conditions or in the order confirmation.

  • There is no promised or agreed delivery time, but at least 30 days have passed since the purchase and the product has not been delivered.

How to complain about a late delivery

1. Find out about your rights

The Consumer Sales Act determines what demands you can make of the company.

You have the right to demand the company to fulfill its part of the agreement and to deliver what you bought. You also have the right to demand compensation for any costs that incurred due to the delay. You are also allowed to withhold your payment.

Who do you complain to about the delay?

When you buy a product from a company, the general rule is that the company is responsible for the package until it reaches you (or until you pick it up from the delivery point). If the delivery is delayed or lost in transit, you should direct your claims to the company you bought the product from. It doesn't matter if someone else, such as the delivery company, is the reason for the delay or loss.

Your right to demand

You have a right to demand the company to keep its part of the agreement and deliver your product.

In some cases, you may also have the right to terminate the agreement, that is, to cancel it.

When can you cancel the purchase?

To be able to cancel the purchase, you need to have given the company a reasonable additional amount of time in connection with you complaining about the delay.

You also have the right to cancel the purchase if the delay is of substantial importance for you.

Examples of when the delay may be of substantial importance:

  • If you at the time of purchase already ensured (such as by contacting the company) that the product could be delivered no later than a certain date.

  • If the time is clearly crucial to the purchase, for example if the product is to be used on a special occasion. An example is if you ordered a wedding cake that cannot be delivered on time.

Exceptions when the company is not required to deliver

There are exceptions when you cannot demand the company to deliver your goods. For example, if obstacles beyond the company's control make it impossible for the company to deliver.

The company also does not need to deliver if you wait unreasonably long to complain about the delay and make demands for delivery.

Right to withhold payment

Since the product has not been delivered, you have the right by law to withhold payment. This serves as your security so that the company will deliver the product.

If you have already paid, it is only if the purchase is canceled that you can demand a refund.

Compensation on the grounds of the delay

You should not be affected by costs because the product is delayed.

The company shall bear any costs you incur due to the delay of the goods.

Examples of expenses may be:

  • Loss of income if you have to stay home from work to receive the delivery.

  • Unnecessary transports.

  • The additional costs for express shipping, eventhough the item was delivered by standard shipping.

The law gives you the right to compensation for actual costs that arise due to the delay, although not for the inconvenience or the actual wait in itself. The costs must be reasonable and have a direct connection to the delay. You need to be able to present documentation, such as receipts or invoices.

There are exceptions when you cannot claim compensation. This applies, for example, if something beyond the company's control makes it impossible for the company to deliver.

What applies to a coverage purchase

If the purchase has been cancelled and you have been forced to buy another product that costs more than the original one, you have the right to demand the price difference from the company. This is called a cover purchase.

To be able to demand compensation for the difference, you need to make the purchase with care. This means that you need to compare alternatives and choose a reasonable price. If you do not find and exactly similar product, it can be OK to buy a product that is comparable. A product is often considered comparable if it has a corresponding quality, functions and price.

2. Write to the company and make your demands

Contact the company in writing, for example by email or text message. Then you can show what you have presented and when.

Demand the company to deliver your product

Contact the company and demand a delivery of the delayed product as soon as possible.

If you choose to call, you can summarize what you've discussed over the phone and then send it in an email to the company after the call. Then you'll have documentation showing what you've agreed upon. You can also record the call. It's allowed as long as you participate in the call.

Demand that you to cancel the purchase

If the delay is of substantial importance for you, you may have the right to cancel the purchase.

If the company does not succeed in delivering within the additional time, you can cancel the purchase.

Demand compensation

Write down which expenses you want the company to compensate and why. You need to be able to prove the expenses with documentation.

Notify the company that you are withholding payment

Notify the company in writing that you are withholding payment.Write how much and why.

If you have received an invoice, you need to dispute it (protest against it). Explain that you will not pay and why.

If you have already paid for the item, you can only demand to get your money back if the contract has been revoked.

If there is still an issue

3. If the company rejects your demands

If you do not receive your goods despite your demands, you can instead demand to cancel the agreement.

If the company does not believe you have the right to revoke, you can turn to the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) or court for an assessment.

If the company denies you compensation, you can turn to the National Complaints Board (ARN) or court for an assessment.

If you receive an incorrect invoice, it is important to protest against it in writing. You can also choose to pay under protest.

Dispute incorrect invoice

If you have already paid (via card or credit)

You have the right to demand a refund when canceling a purchase.

If you paid by card

If you paid by card, you can make a so-called chargeback request . Contact your bank to see if they can assist you with a refund. You can try to make a chargeback request regardless of the type of card you have used. However, paying with a credit card is definitely safer and less risky, than using a debit card.

If you have paid by credit card or invoice

When you pay by credit card or invoice, according to the Consumer Credit Act, you have the right to get assistance from your credit provider if you encounter problems. The law states that you can make the same demands on the credit provider as you can on a company. This means that you can demand a refund from the credit provider, such as the bank or the invoice company, if the company you purchased from does not refund you. Contact your bank or credit provider to find out how to proceed.

4. If you need guidance?

Swedish companies

Do you need help clarifying your rights or want to discuss how to proceed with your case? In that case, you can contact the municipality's consumer guidance, or the guidance provided by our national information service.

Municipality's Consumer Guidance

Many municipalities provide consumer guidance where you can seek free information and support. The assistance offered may vary from one municipality to another.

The Swedish Consumer Agency

If you need guidance, you can contact our national information service. We can provide information on your rights and what options you have to make progress. We provide independent guidance and therefore cannot assess your individual matter, resolve disputes or contact companies for you.

Contact us

Companies within the EU, Norway, Iceland and the United Kingdom

If you are residing in Sweden and the company you have issues with is registered in another EU country, Norway, Iceland or the United Kingdom, you can receive free advice from ECC Sweden. ECC Sweden is part of a network of consumer offices within the EU. In some cases, ECC Sweden may share the case with a sister office in another country to attempt to reach a solution through mediation.

Contact ECC Sweden

To get assistance with your case, you need to ensure that you have filed a written complaint to the company. To ECC Sweden, you need to submit a description of the problem and documentation showing what has happened. Documentation is necessary if your case is to be shared with any sister office in another country. Remember to keep your originals and only send copies to ECC Sweden.

Send your case via email to:

The email should include:

  • Your first and last name and the name of the company you purchased from

  • A description of the problem and how you want the company to resolve it

  • The date you placed the order and the date you received it

  • The price of the item/service and how you paid

  • Documentation as evidence of your case

Examples of documentation
  • Agreement/terms of agreement

  • Screenshots of advertisements

  • Invoice/receipts for purchases

  • Complaint or right of withdrawal notice

Once you have submitted your case, you will usually receive a response within approximately 1 month.

ECC Sweden cannot
  • Force a company to act according to the law. The work is based on the company being willing to cooperate with the ECC network to reach a resolution.

  • Mediate in a case if we cannot identify the seller or if the seller refuses to cooperate with the ECC network.

  • Act as legal representation or assist when the consumer has already initiated legal proceedings.

  • Assist in purchases between businesses or purchases between individuals.

If you have any questions

ECC Sweden is part of the Swedish Consumer Agency. Do you need help clarifying your rights or want to discuss if and how you can proceed with your case? Then you can contact us at the information service.

Contact the information service

5. Have your case reviewed


If you and the company cannot reach an agreement, you can make a complaint to the public authority “Allmänna reklamationsnämnden” (ARN) [The National Board for Consumer Disputes]. ARN will assess your case and provide a recommendation on how to resolve the dispute. Most companies follow ARN's recommendations. The normal processing time is approximately 6 months. In some cases, it can be quicker and in others it may take longer.

If the company has refused your demands, you can make a direct complaint. If you have not received a response from the company, you must wait for 30 days before you can make a complaint to ARN. If you complain earlier, your complaint will be rejected.

Requirements for ARN to consider your case
  • The company has either fully or partially rejected your claim or has not responded to you.

  • The amount that you and the company cannot agree on exceeds ARN's value limit.

  • You must make the complaint within 1 year of the date you first complained to the company.

Submit a complaint on ARN's website (in Swedish)

If you need help with your complaint

Sometimes, the municipal consumer advisors can assist you in making a complaint to ARN.

Settle the dispute in court

If you have gone through the steps in this process but still have a dispute with the company, you can take the dispute to court. In that case, you should contact the district court (tingsrätten).

For a dispute involving a claim of up to 28,650 Swedish kronor (half a price base amount in 2024), known as a simplified litigation or small claim, the application fee is 900 kronor. If the claim exceeds 28,650 kronor, or if the dispute does not concern a specific amount, the application fee is 2,800 kronor.

If you lose the dispute, you may be required to pay both your and the company's legal costs. However, in small claims, the costs you may have to pay are limited.

Learn how a lawsuit is handled in the district court on the website of the Swedish Courts (in Swedish)

Sen leverans av vara 

Är din vara försenad eller försvunnen? Ta reda på vad som gäller kring till exempel ersättning och hävning av köpet när leveransen av varan är sen eller utebliven.

Enligt lag räknas varan som försenad om någon av följande situationer uppstår: [H3]

Du har inte fått varan inom utlovad tid. Utlovad tid är den tid som framgår när du genomför köpet, till exempel i köpevillkoren eller i orderbekräftelsen.

Det finns ingen utlovad eller överenskommen leveranstid, men det har gått minst 30 dagar sedan köpet och varan har inte levererats.

Så gör du för att klaga på förseningen

1. Ta reda på dina rättigheter

Informationen utgår från dina rättigheter enligt konsumentköplagen.

Du har rätt att kräva att förtaget håller sin del av avtalet och levererar det du köpt. Samtidigt kan du kräva ersättning för kostnader du fått på grund av förseningen. Du kan också hålla inne med betalningen.

Till vem klagar du på förseningen?

När du köper en vara av ett företag är huvudregeln att företaget ansvarar för paketet tills det kommer fram till dig (eller tills du hämtat ut det från postombudet).

Om leveransen är försenad eller försvinner under transporten ska du rikta dina krav mot företaget du köpte varan av. Det har ingen betydelse om det är någon annan, till exempel fraktbolaget, som är orsaken till att varan är försenad eller försvunnen.

Vad kan du kräva?

Vid en försening kan du i första hand kräva att företaget håller sin del av avtalet och levererar din vara.

I vissa fall kan du även ha rätt att häva avtalet, det vill säga avbryta det.

När kan du häva köpet?

Du har rätt att häva köpet om företaget inte kan leverera varan inom en rimlig tid från det att du klagat på den sena leveransen. Du har också rätt att häva köpet om förseningen är av stor betydelse för dig.

Exempel på när förseningen kan vara av stor betydelse:

  • Om du redan vid köptillfället försäkrade dig om (till exempel genom att kontakta företaget) att varan kunde levereras senast ett visst datum.

  • Om tiden är uppenbart avgörande för köpet, till exempel om varan ska användas vid ett särskilt tillfälle.

Undantag när företaget inte måste leverera

Det finns undantag när du inte kan kräva att företaget levererar din vara. Det är till exempel om hinder utanför företagets kontroll gör det omöjligt för företaget att leverera.

Företaget behöver inte heller leverera om du väntar orimligt länge med att klaga på förseningen och ställa krav på leverans.

Så gör du med betalningen

Du har rätt att hålla inne betalningen för varan tills du fått den. Det fungerar som ett påtryckningsmedel mot företaget och en trygghet för dig.

Har du redan betalat är det först om köpet hävs du kan kräva återbetalning.

Ersättning på grund av förseningen

Företaget ska stå för eventuella kostnader du drabbas av på grund av att varan är försenat. Exempel på kostnader kan vara:

  • Inkomstförlust om du måste vara hemma från jobbet för att ta emot leveransen.

  • Onödiga transporter.

  • Mellanskillnad för betald expressfrakt, när varan trots det levereras med standardfrakt.

Du kan kräva ersättning för de faktiska kostnaderna, inte för besväret eller tiden du lägger ner. Kostnaderna ska vara rimliga och ha direkt koppling till förseningen. Du behöver kunna visa underlag, till exempel kvitton och fakturor.

Det finns undantag när du inte kan kräva ersättning. Det gäller till exempel om något utanför företagets kontroll gör det omöjligt för företaget att leverera.

Vad som gäller vid täckningsköp

Har köpet hävts och du tvingats köpa varan någon annanstans till ett högre pris? Då kan du kräva ersättning för mellanskillnaden. Det kallas för att göra ett täckningsköp.

För att kunna kräva ersättning för mellanskillnaden behöver du göra köpet med omsorg. Det betyder att du behöver jämföra alternativ och välja ett rimligt pris. Hittar du inte en exakt likadan vara kan det vara okej att köpa en likvärdig vara. En vara ses ofta som likvärdig om den har motsvarande kvalitet, funktioner och pris.

2. Skriv till företaget och ställ krav

Kontakta företaget skriftligen, till exempel via mejl eller sms. Då kan du visa vad du framfört och när.

Kräv leverans

Kräv att du ska få det du köpt och så snart som möjligt. Du kan ge företaget en rimlig tilläggstid, ett sista datum för när varan ska levereras. Du kan även efterfråga ett datum för leverans.

Om du väljer att ringa kan du sammanfatta vad ni sagt och skicka i ett mejl till företaget efter samtalet. Då får du underlag som visar vad ni kommit överens om. Du kan också spela in samtalet. Det är tillåtet så länge du själv deltar i samtalet.

Kräv hävning

Om förseningen är av väsentlig betydelse för dig kan du istället kräva att få häva avtalet.

Ställer du krav på leverans och företaget inte levererar inom en rimlig tilläggstid kan du kräva hävning.

Kräv ersättning

Skriv vilka kostnader du vill att företaget ska ersätta och varför. Du behöver kunna styrka kostnaderna med underlag.

Meddela att du håller inne med betalningen

Meddela företaget om du håller inne med betalningen. Skriv hur mycket och varför.

Har du fått en faktura behöver du bestrida (protestera mot) den. Förklara att du inte kommer betala och varför.

Om du redan betalat för varan kan du ställa krav på att få tillbaka dina pengar först när avtalet hävts.

Om det inte löser sig

3. Om företaget säger nej till dina krav

Får du inte din vara trots dina krav får du framföra att du i stället vill häva avtalet. Om företaget inte tycker att du har rätt att häva avtalet kan vända dig till Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden (ARN) eller domstol för att få en bedömning.

Nekar företaget dig ersättning kan du vända dig till Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden (ARN) eller domstol för att få en bedömning.

Får du en felaktig faktura är det viktigt att protestera mot den skriftligen. Du kan även välja att betala under protest.

Bestrida felaktig faktura

Om du redan betalat (via kort eller kredit)

Vid en hävning har du rätt att kräva tillbaka pengarna.

Om du betalat med kort

Har du betalat med kort kan du göra en så kallad kortreklamation. Då kontaktar du din bank för att se om de kan hjälpa dig med en återbetalning. Du kan prova att göra en kortreklamation oavsett vilken typ av kort du använt. Men har du betalat med kreditkort har du ett starkare skydd än om du använt ett vanligt bankkort.

Om du har betalat med kreditkort eller faktura

När du betalar med kreditkort eller mot faktura har du enligt konsumentkreditlagen rätt att få hjälp av din kreditgivare om du stöter på problem. Lagen säger att du kan ställa samma krav mot kreditgivaren som du kan göra mot företaget. Det innebär att du kan kräva återbetalning från kreditgivaren, till exempel banken eller fakturaföretaget, om företaget inte återbetalar dig. Kontakta din bank eller kreditgivare för att ta reda på hur du gör.

4. Behöver du vägledning?

Välj alternativ utifrån vilket land företaget finns i. Är du osäker? Välj "Svenskt företag".

Svenskt företag

Behöver du hjälp med att reda ut vilka rättigheter du har eller vill diskutera hur du kommer vidare med ditt ärende? Då kan du kontakta kommunens konsumentvägledning eller Konsumentverkets vägledning.

Kommunens konsumentvägledning

Många kommuner erbjuder konsumentvägledning. Dit kan du vända dig för kostnadsfri information och stöd. Vilken hjälp som erbjuds varierar från kommun till kommun.

Konsumentverkets vägledning

Konsumentverket ger kostnadsfri vägledning. Hos oss får du information om dina rättigheter och vilka alternativ du har för att komma vidare. Vi kan inte bedöma ditt enskilda ärende, lösa tvister eller kontakta företag åt dig.

Kontakta Konsumentverkets vägledning

Företag inom annat EU-land, Norge, Island eller Storbritannien

Om du är bosatt i Sverige och företaget du har problem med är registrerat i ett annat land inom EU, Norge, Island eller Storbritannien kan du få kostnadsfri rådgivning av Konsument Europa. Konsument Europa ingår i ett nätverk av konsumentkontor inom EU. I vissa fall kan Konsument Europa dela ärendet med ett systerkontor i ett annat land för att försöka nå en lösning genom medling.

Kontakta Konsument Europa

För att få hjälp med ditt ärende behöver du säkerställa att du har klagat skriftligen till företaget. Till Konsument Europa behöver du skicka in en beskrivning av problemet och dokumentation som visar vad som har hänt. Dokumentation behövs om ditt ärende ska kunna delas med något systerkontor i ett annat land. Tänk på att behålla dina original och bara skicka kopior till Konsument Europa

Skicka ditt ärende via e-post till:

E-postmeddelandet ska innehålla:

  • Ditt förnamn och efternamn och namnet på företaget du har handlat av

  • En beskrivning av problemet och hur du vill att företaget ska lösa det

  • Datum då du gjorde beställningen och datum då du tog emot den

  • Priset på varan/tjänsten och hur du betalade

  • Dokumentation som bevisning av ditt ärende

Exempel på dokumentation

När du skickat in ditt ärende får du oftast svar inom ungefär en månad.

Konsument Europa kan INTE:
  • Tvinga ett företag att agera enligt lag. Arbetet bygger på att företaget är villigt att samarbeta med ECC-nätverket för att nå en lösning.

  • Medla i ett ärende om vi inte kan identifiera säljaren eller där säljaren vägrar samarbeta med ECC-nätverket.

  • Agera som juridiskt ombud eller hjälpa till när konsumenten redan har inlett ett rättsligt förfarande.

  • Hjälpa till vid köp mellan näringsidkare eller köp mellan privatpersoner.

Om du har frågor

Konsument Europa är en del av Konsumentverket. Behöver du behöver hjälp med att reda ut vilka rättigheter du har eller vill diskutera om och hur du kan gå vidare med ditt ärende? Då kan du kontakta vår vägledning.

Kontakta Konsumentverkets vägledning

5. Om du vill få ärendet prövat

Kontakta Allmänna reklamationsnämnden

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens kan du göra en anmälan till myndigheten Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN). ARN bedömer ditt ärende och lämnar en rekommendation om hur tvisten ska lösas. De flesta företag följer ARN:s rekommendationer. En normal handläggningstid är cirka 6 månader. I vissa fall kan det gå fortare, och i andra fall tar det längre tid.

Har företaget sagt nej till dina krav kan du anmäla direkt. Om du inte fått svar från företaget behöver det ha gått 30 dagar innan du kan anmäla till ARN. Om du anmäler tidigare kommer din anmälan att avslås.

Krav för att ARN ska kunna pröva ditt ärende
  • Företaget har sagt helt eller delvis nej, eller inte svarat dig.

  • Summan som du och företaget inte kommer överens om överstiger ARNs värdegräns.

  • Du måste anmäla inom ett år från det att du klagade till företaget första gången.

Gör en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats

Om du behöver hjälp med din anmälan

Ibland kan kommunens konsumentvägledare hjälpa dig att göra en anmälan till ARN.

Pröva tvisten i domstol

Om du gått igenom stegen i den här processen men fortfarande har en tvist med företaget, kan du ta tvisten till domstol. Då vänder du dig till tingsrätten.

Är du osäker på om du ska vända dig till domstol eller behöver hjälp med att driva ditt fall, kan du ta hjälp av en jurist. När du funderar på att anlita juridisk hjälp kan du först kontakta ditt försäkringsbolag. I många hemförsäkringar finns ett så kallat rättsskydd. Det betyder att försäkringen kan täcka vissa kostnader i samband med juridiska processer.

Vad kostar det?

För en tvist som rör ett krav under 28 650 kronor (ett halvt prisbasbelopp år 2024), ett så kallat förenklat tvistemål eller småmål, är ansökningsavgiften 900 kronor. Om kravet är över 28 650 kronor, eller om tvisten inte rör något bestämt belopp, är ansökningsavgiften 2 800 kronor.

Om du förlorar tvisten kan du bli tvungen att betala både dina och företagets rättegångskostnader. Men i småmål är kostnaderna du kan tvingas betala begränsade.

Så hanteras ett tvistemål i tingsrätten på Sveriges Domstolars webbplats

Fäll ihop

Source: KonsumentverketKonsument Europa

Proofread: 28 March 2024

This website is co-financed by the European Union. ECC Sweden is part of the Swedish Consumer Agency and is co-financed by the EU.

This website is part of an EU quality Network

Your Europe is an EU website that will help you do things in other European countries - without hassle or unnecessary bureaucracy. Information on Your Europe is provided by the relevant departments of the European Commission and complemented by content provided by the authorities in every country it covers.To Your Europe websiteHelp us Improve