The Consumer Services Act

Konsumenttjänstlagen - Engelska

The Consumer Services Act applies when a commercial provider performs a service to you as a consumer. The provisions in the statute are mandatory, in your best interests. This means that commercial enterprises may not give you less favourable terms and conditions than those set out in the statute.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Before reading further

If you have purchased a product, the Consumer Sales Act applies.

Learn about the Consumer Sales Act

When is the Consumer Services Act applicable? 

  • When you, as a private individual, purchase a service from a commercial provider. 

  • For work on land, buildings and other immovable property including real property. For example, house renovations, painting work or when you hire a company to construct a new house. 

  • For work on personal property. For example, repair of a car or television.  

  • For storage of personal effects. For example, storing furniture or dry docking of a boat. 

When is the Consumer Services Act not applicable? 

As the legislation applies to work on personal property and real property, there are many services that fall outside the scope of the statute. Some examples are:  

  • medical treatment or other personal services for persons or animals, for example by a hairdresser or a veterinarian  

  • manufacturing of things  

  • transportation services, such as moving services  

  • when a company buys services from another company.  

Provisions in applicable legislation 

Statutory guarantee – three or ten years 

If the service is flawed or not as expected, you will need to lodge a complaint and claim for redress. You can do this by notifying the company. The complaint must be made within a reasonable amount of time. If you inform the company of your complaint within two months, generally this will always be regarded as within a reasonable period of time. On the other hand, if you complain about a fault more than three years after the end of the project contracted for, the company has no legal liability, even if the problem was recently detected. An exception is if the service concerns work on land, buildings or other real property. Then you can lodge a complaint about faults or malfunction detected within ten years of the completion of the work. 

Requirement for the work to be carried out professionally 

The company must ensure that the person carrying out the service has the relevant skills and the requisite training. The service must be carried out professionally, i.e. in a manner normally expected of a skilled and reliable professional. The company must also ensure that the service is not performed in violation of health and safety regulations nor prohibitions in the Product Safety Act or the Marketing Act. 

The company’s obligation to dissuade 

The company has an obligation to look out for your interests and consult with you. The company must dissuade you from purchasing the service if it is not of reasonable benefit to you. As the company must provide the materials needed for the work, unless you have agreed otherwise, the company must also advise you if it considers that you have chosen materials that are unsuitable for the purpose. 

Your rights in the event of a detected fault or other problems 

When the service is faulty, your first recourse is to demand that the fault is rectified without cost to you. If the company is unable to rectify the fault, or does not do so within a reasonable period of time, you may instead be entitled to a reduction in price. The amount of the reduction in price must be equivalent to the cost to you of having the fault remedied. If the service is faulty in some way or you have a problem with it, you also have the right to withhold payment. You can withhold as much of the payment as is necessary to secure your claim. 

In some cases, you can void the contract, i.e. cancel it. This is a possibility if the purpose of the service has been lost or otherwise is of no value, in other words if the service would be basically worthless to you. 

If the service is faulty, you can also claim financial compensation for the damage and additional costs caused by the deficient work. For example, if a roof was repaired incorrectly and rainwater leaked in and ruined your property. 

Further information about how to lodge a consumer complaint about a faulty service 

Your rights in the event of failure to delivery by the promised date 

When the company does not start, or does not finish, the work within the agreed timeframe, you have the right to withhold payment. You can withhold as much of the payment as is necessary to secure your claim. 

In the event of a delay, your first recourse would be to ask the company to complete the service. In some situations, you may also have the right to cancel the contract if the service is not completed by the agreed date and the delay is of significant importance to you. You can also claim damages, i.e. financial compensation, if you have incurred costs or suffered other financial lossas a result of the failure to perform the service within the agreed timeframe. 

What price are you obligated to pay? 

You are obligated to pay the price that you and the company have agreed upon. If you have not explicitly agreed on the price, your obligation is to pay what is known as a “fair and reasonable” amount. A price is usually considered fair and reasonable if it corresponds to what the work would normally cost. 

If the company has provided you with an estimated approximate price, the final price may not exceed the estimated price by more than 15%. 

However the company is entitled to charge an additional amount if it has carried out necessary additional work or if the work has become more expensive due to circumstances for which you are responsible. As a general rule however, the company must always consult with you before carrying out additional work. 

The purchaser is entitled to receive an itemised bill making it possible to assess the type and extent of the work. If the price is not a flat total price, it should be clear how the total amount has been calculated. 

Read more about what to do when the tradesman wants to be paid an amount you consider to be too much 

What applies in the case of additional work? 

The company is entitled to charge an additional amount if they have performed necessary additional work or if the work has become more expensive due to circumstances for which you are responsible. As a general rule however, the company must always consult with you before carrying out additional work. 

Your right to withhold payment 

If the company does not complete the project contracted for within the agreed time period, and it is not due to circumstances attributable to you, then you have the right to withhold payment. This also applies in the event of a fault in the service. You can withhold as much of the payment as is necessary to secure your claim. 

Rules on cancellation of orders 

Cancellation of an order or a contract is different from a making a complaint or asserting a claim. Cancelling a order where a service was to be provided means that you inform the company that you no longer desire the services. There does not necessarily need to be a fault or problem with the work to cancel the contract. If you cancel an order for a service before it has been completed, the company is fully entitled to compensation for the part of the work that has already been done. In addition, the company is also entitled to compensation for loss of income due to not being able to take on other work. 

Request the assistance of ARN if you can’t arrive at a mutually agreed solution with the company 

If a serious dispute arises between you and the company and you cannot reach a mutually agreed solution, you have the option of asking the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) to become involved by filing a request for assistance with them. ARN will assess your case and make a recommendation on how to resolve the dispute. Most companies follow ARN’s recommendations. There is no charge for having your case heard by ARN. A normal processing time is approximately six months. 

Requirements for the National Board for Consumer Disputes to be able to review your case 

  • You have filed a complaint within one year from the date you first notified the company of the problem. 

  • The amount you and the company are in dispute about is more then ARN's value limitations (different value thresholds apply for different fields).

  • The company has rejected your requests in whole or in part, or it has failed to respond to you. 

If you have not received a response from the company, 30 days must have passed before you can file a complaint with ARN. If you submit your complaint earlier, it will be automatically rejected. When you submit your complaint to ARN, you will need to describe the situation and exactly what you want from the company. You can send supporting documents such as e-mails, pictures, screenshots, contracts and other evidence. 

Submit an application on ARN’s website  

Would you like assistance in preparing your complaint? 

The municipality’s consumer adviser may be able to assist you in submitting an application to ARN. 

Your dispute with the company can also be taken to a district court by filing a lawsuit, but there will be costs involved in this. You will need to pay a filing fee and may also have to pay legal fees and court costs. 

If the company disregards the rules, submit a complaint to the Swedish Consumer Agency  

If you think that a company is breaking the rules in the law, you can call attention to this by filing a complaint with the Swedish Consumer Agency. The Swedish Consumer Agency checks that companies comply with the rules in the law, and reports are an important input for the agency’s work. However, a report does not mean that your individual case will be assessed and decided. 

File a complaint on the Konsumentverket/Swedish Consumer Agency’s website 

Full text of the statute 

Read the full text of the Swedish Consumer Services Act on the website of the Swedish Parliament  (In Swedish)


Konsumenttjänstlagen gäller när ett företag utför en tjänst åt dig som konsument. Lagen är tvingande till din förmån. Det innebär att företag inte får ge dig sämre villkor än de som finns i lagen. 

När gäller konsumenttjänstlagen? 

  • När du som privatperson köper en tjänst av ett företag. 

  • För arbete på mark, byggnader och andra fasta saker. Till exempel husrenoveringar, målningsarbeten eller när du anlitar ett företag för att bygga ett nytt hus. 

  • För arbete på lösa saker. Till exempel reparation av bil eller tv.  

  • För förvaring av lösa saker. Till exempel magasinering av möbler eller förvaring av båt. 

När gäller inte konsumenttjänstlagen? 

Eftersom lagen gäller för arbete på lösa och fasta saker finns det många tjänster som faller utanför lagen. Några exempel är:  

  • behandling av personer eller djur, till exempel hos frisör eller veterinär  

  • tillverkning av saker  

  • transportuppdrag, till exempel flyttjänster  

  • när ett företag köper tjänster av ett annat företag.  

Bestämmelser i lagen 

Reklamationsrätt – tre eller tio år 

Tycker du att tjänsten är felaktig måste du reklamera den, det vill säga klaga på tjänsten. Det gör du genom att meddela företaget. Du måste klaga på felet inom skälig tid. Om du klagar inom två månader räknas det alltid som inom skälig tid. Däremot kan du inte reklamera fel som upptäcks senare än tre år efter att uppdraget avslutades. Gäller tjänsten arbete på mark, byggnader eller andra fasta saker kan du reklamera fel som upptäcks inom tio år efter att uppdraget blev klart. 

Krav på fackmässigt utfört arbete 

Företaget ska se till att den som utför tjänsten har rätt kompetens och nödvändig utbildning. Tjänsten ska utföras fackmässigt, det vill säga på ett sätt som normalt förväntas av en kunnig och seriös yrkesperson. Företaget ska även se till att tjänsten inte utförs i strid mot säkerhetsföreskrifter eller mot förbud i produktsäkerhetslagen eller marknadsföringslagen. 

Företagets skyldighet att avråda 

Företaget ska ta tillvara dina intressen och samråda med dig så att det inte uppstår missförstånd. Företaget ska avråda dig från att köpa tjänsten om den inte är till rimlig nytta för dig. Eftersom företaget ska tillhandahålla det material som behövs för arbetet, om ni inte har avtalat något annat, ska företaget även avråda dig om hen anser att du valt ett material som är olämpligt för ändamålet. 

Dina rättigheter vid fel 

När tjänsten är felaktig kan du i första hand kräva att felet kostnadsfritt rättas till. Om företaget inte kan rätta till felet eller inte gör det inom rimlig tid kan du istället kräva prisavdrag. Prisavdragets storlek ska motsvara vad det kostar för dig att få felet åtgärdat. När det är fel i tjänsten har du även rätt att hålla inne betalningen. Du kan hålla inne så stor del av betalningen som krävs för att det ska fungera som säkerhet för ditt krav. 

I vissa fall kan du häva avtalet, det vill säga avbryta det. Det är möjligt om syftet med tjänsten gått förlorat, det vill säga om resultatet i princip är värdelöst för dig. 

Vid fel i tjänsten kan du även kräva skadestånd, det vill säga ekonomisk ersättning för skador och merkostnader som felet orsakat. Det kan till exempel vara om ett tak reparerats på ett felaktigt sätt och regnvatten sedan läckt in och förstört saker. 

Läs mer om hur du reklamerar en felaktig tjänst 

Dina rättigheter vid försening 

När företaget inte påbörjar eller avslutar arbetet inom den tid ni kommit överens om har du rätt att hålla inne betalningen. Du kan hålla inne så stor del av betalningen som krävs för att det ska fungera som säkerhet för ditt krav. 

Vid en försening kan du i första hand kräva att företaget slutför tjänsten. I vissa fall kan du även ha rätt att häva avtalet, det vill säga avbryta det, om tjänsten inte är färdig vid avtalad tid och förseningen är av stor betydelse för dig. Du kan även kräva skadestånd, det vill säga ersättning, om du drabbats av kostnader eller annan ekonomisk skada på grund av förseningen. 

Vilket pris ska du betala? 

Du ska betala det pris som du och företaget kommit överens om. Om ni inte har avtalat om pris ska du betala ett så kallat skäligt pris. Ett pris brukar vara skäligt om det motsvarar vad tjänsten normalt sett brukar kosta. 

Om företaget har lämnat en ungefärlig prisuppgift, får det slutliga priset inte överskrida det ungefärliga priset med mer än 15 procent. 

Företaget har rätt till pristillägg om det har utfört nödvändigt tilläggsarbete eller om tjänsten blivit dyrare på grund av omständigheter som beror på dig. Grundregeln är dock att företaget alltid ska samråda med dig innan tilläggsarbeten görs. 

Du har rätt att få en specificerad räkning som gör att du kan bedöma arbetets slag och omfattning. Om priset inte är fast ska det vara tydligt hur priset räknats fram. 

Läs mer om när hantverkaren vill ha för mycket betalt 

Vad gäller vid tilläggsarbeten? 

Företaget har rätt till pristillägg om det har utfört nödvändigt tilläggsarbete eller om tjänsten har blivit dyrare på grund av omständigheter som beror på dig. Grundregeln är dock att företaget alltid ska samråda med dig innan tilläggsarbeten görs. 

Din rätt att hålla inne betalning 

Om företaget inte avslutar uppdraget inom den tid som ni kommit överens om, och det inte beror på dig, har du rätt att hålla inne betalningen. Detta gäller även vid fel i tjänsten. Du kan hålla inne så stor del av betalningen som krävs för att det ska fungera som säkerhet för ditt krav. 

Regler om avbeställning 

Avbeställning skiljer sig mot reklamation. Att avbeställa en tjänst innebär att du meddelar företaget att du inte längre vill ha tjänsten. Det behöver inte vara fel på arbetet för att avbeställa. Om du avbeställer en tjänst innan den slutförts har företaget rätt till ersättning för den del av arbetet som redan utförts. Företaget har också rätt till ersättning för förlorad inkomst på grund av att det inte kunnat åta sig annat arbete. 

Anmäl till ARN om du och företaget inte kommer överens 

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens kan du göra en anmälan till myndigheten Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN). ARN bedömer ditt ärende och lämnar en rekommendation om hur tvisten ska lösas. De flesta företag följer ARN:s rekommendationer. En normal handläggningstid är cirka sex månader. 

Krav för att ARN ska kunna pröva ditt ärende 

  • Du anmäler inom ett år från det att du klagade till företaget första gången. 

  • Summan som du och företaget är oense om är över ARN:s värdegräns (olika värdegränser gäller för olika områden).

  • Företaget har sagt helt eller delvis nej till dina krav, eller inte svarat dig. 

Har du inte fått svar från företaget behöver det ha gått 30 dagar innan du kan anmäla till ARN. Om du anmäler tidigare kommer din anmälan att avslås. När du gör din anmälan till ARN beskriver du situationen och vad du kräver av företaget. Du kan skicka in underlag som mejl, bilder, avtal och andra bevis. 

Gör en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats  

Behöver du hjälp med din anmälan? 

Ibland kan kommunens konsumentvägledare hjälpa dig att göra en anmälan till ARN. 

Din tvist med företaget kan även prövas i domstol. Du behöver betala en ansökningsavgift och kan dessutom behöva betala rättegångskostnader. 

Anmäl till Konsumentverket om företaget bryter mot reglerna 

Om du tycker att ett företag bryter mot reglerna i lagen kan du uppmärksamma det genom att göra en anmälan till Konsumentverket. Konsumentverket kontrollerar att företagen följer reglerna i lagen, och anmälningar är ett viktigt underlag för myndighetens arbete. En anmälan gör däremot inte att ditt enskilda fall bedöms eller avgörs. 

Gör en anmälan på Konsumentverkets webbplats 

Hela lagtexten 

Läs konsumenttjänstlagen i sin helhet på riksdagens webbplats 

Fäll ihop

Source: Konsumentverket

Proofread: 26 February 2023