How to complain against a faulty service

Reklamera felaktig tjänst - Engelska

If you have purchased a faulty service you should contact the company to make a complaint about it. You have at least three years to complain about faults.

Cooperation:This website is co-funded by the European Union.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Services covered by the Consumer Services Act

This information applies for services covered by the Consumer Services Act. This law applies to:

  • Work on movable property. For example, repairs to a car or TV.

  • Work on fixed property, to buildings or other facilities on land or in the water or on other fixed property. For example, house renovations or painting work.

  • Storage of movable property. For example, storage of furniture or boats.

The law does not apply to treatments for animals or people, such as hairdressing services or veterinary services. Nor does it apply in transport assignments, such as furniture removal.

When is the service defective?

A service can be considered to be defective if the results do not correspond to what you and the company have agreed on. This can also concern the work not being professionally done, such as if the work is poorly done or if there are defects. The work being done professionally means that the results must correspond to what is expected of a knowledgeable and earnest professional. You should be able, for example, to expect the company to follow the guidelines and recommendations that exist for the industry he or she works in.

How much time do you have to file complaint about defects

How much time you have to file complaint depends on what kind of service you purchased. For storage services and work on movable property, you have up to three years to file complaint on faults. Storage services refer, for example, to when you pay a company to store your things. Work on movable property can, among other things, be repair, maintenance and cleaning work, such as the service or repair of a car.

For work on land, buildings and other fixed property, you have a right to file complaint for up to ten years. Examples of such work are re-roofing, drainage and painting.

File a complaint as soon as you discover the fault, within two months at the latest

You must file a complaint on the fault within a reasonable amount of time from when you discovered or should have discovered the fault. If you file complaint within two months, it always counts as being within a reasonable amount of time. If you wait too long to file a complaint, you may lose the possibility of demanding that the company correct the fault.

What can you demand of the company in the event of a fault or defect?

The Consumer Services Act governs what you can demand.

Firstly: that the company fixes the fault

You can firstly demand that the company fixes the fault free of charge. You have the right to receive the results that you and the company agreed on. This being done free of charge means that the company must bear all of the costs associated with fixing the fault – such as materials, travel and labour. 

Secondly: that you receive a price reduction

The price reduction should match the defect, such as what it costs to have the defect fixed by another company.

Thirdly: that you can revoke the agreement

Revoking the agreement means that the work is discontinued, and that you are not obliged to pay for the service. The company then also has no obligation to complete the work.

Compensation on the grounds of the fault

It is the company that must bear any costs or financial losses that you incur due to the fault. Examples may be:

  • Loss of income, for example if you have to take time off of work to inspect the fault together with the company

  • Cost for an opinion from an inspector or other expert (if needed to be able to prove the fault)

Remember that it is actual costs, not the trouble or the time you spend on the complaint, that you can demand compensation for. You need to be able to present documentation, such as receipts, invoices or other certificates, on what costs you have had and the costs must be reasonable and have a direct connection to the defect.

Right to withhold payment

If the service is incorrect, you have the right by law to withhold part or all of the payment as security. This serves as a means of pressure on the company and a security for you.

The part of the payment you withhold should correspond to the fault. This essentially means that you can withhold such a large amount that it covers the cost to bring in another company to fix the faults. Sometimes, it can help to contact other companies in the industry to get a price quote for what it would cost to fix the fault.

It is important that you notify the company in writing that you are withholding payment and why. You can send an email or a text message, for example.

If the company caused damage

According to the Consumer Services Act, you have the right to demand damages from the company if they cause damage in connection with the service being performed. This can involve the object of the service being damaged, such as if the company you engage to change tires on the car scratches the paint. This may also involve the company damaging something else on your property; for example, if the company you engaged to repair your heat pump drops a tool that causes damage to the floor.

Document the fault

When you discover faults or defects, it is important that you document what is wrong. You need to be able to show the company what you think is wrong and the documentation becomes important if you and the company do not agree on the fault.

You can document the fault by taking pictures or filming, for example. Remember that the quality needs to be good enough that the fault is clearly visible. If there is no good way to document the fault, you can describe it when you contact the company to file complaint.

Contact the company and ask that the fault be fixed

After you have discovered a defect, it is important that you contact the company as soon as possible to give them the chance to investigate and fix the defect. It is somewhat common for the company to need to come out and look at the fault to be able to decide what needs to be done. It also might not be clear what caused the defect.

It is always good to have written documentation that shows that you contacted the company to file complaint. If possible, it is therefore good to send a text message or email. Then, you can also attach documentation that shows the fault, such as pictures.

If you and the company do not agree

If you need guidance, you can contact Hallå konsument [Hello Consumer]. We are a national information service that can provide information on your rights and what options you have to make progress. We provide independent guidance and therefore cannot assess your individual matter, resolve disputes or contact companies for you.

Contact information to Hallå konsument

If you and the company do not agree, you can in many cases file a report with the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) to have the dispute tried. It is free of charge

Read more about filing a report on the ARN website

To be able to file a report to ARN, the company must have said partly or entirely no to your requirement, or has not responded at all.

Reklamera felaktig tjänst 

Att reklamera innebär att du kontaktar företaget för att klaga på fel i tjänsten. Du har minst tre år på dig att klaga på fel. 

Tjänster som omfattas av konsumenttjänstlagen 

Den här informationen gäller för tjänster som omfattas av konsumenttjänstlagen. Lagen gäller för: 

  • Arbete på lösa saker. Till exempel reparation av bil eller tv. 

  • Arbete på fast egendom, på byggnader eller andra anläggningar på mark eller i vatten eller på andra fasta saker. Till exempel husrenoveringar eller målningsarbeten. 

  • Förvaring av lösa saker. Till exempel magasinering av möbler eller förvaring av båt. 

 Lagen gäller inte behandlingar på djur eller människor, till exempel frisörtjänster eller veterinärtjänster. Den gäller heller inte vid transportuppdrag, till exempel möbelflyttning. 

När är tjänsten felaktig? 

En tjänst kan ses som felaktig om resultatet inte motsvarar det du och företaget har kommit överens om. Det kan också handla om att arbetet inte är fackmässigt utfört, till exempel om arbetet är slarvigt gjort eller om det finns brister. Att arbetet utförs fackmässigt betyder att resultatet ska motsvara det som förväntas av en kunnig och seriös yrkesperson. Du ska till exempel kunna förutsätta att företaget följer de riktlinjer och rekommendationer som finns för branschen hen arbetar i. 

Så lång tid har du på dig att klaga på fel 

Hur lång tid du har på dig att klaga på fel beror på vilken typ av tjänst du har köpt. För förvaringstjänster och arbete på lösa saker har du upp till tre år på dig att klaga på fel. Med förvaringstjänster menas till exempel när du betalar ett företag för att magasinera dina saker. Arbete på lösa saker kan bland annat vara reparations-, underhålls- och rengöringsarbeten, till exempel service eller reparation av bil. 

För arbete på mark, byggnader och andra fasta saker har du rätt att klaga på fel i upp till tio år. Exempel på sådana arbeten är takbyte, dränering och målning. 

Klaga så fort du upptäcker felet, senast inom två månader 

Du måste klaga på felet inom rimlig tid från det att du upptäckte eller borde ha upptäckt felet. Om du klagar inom två månader räknas det alltid som inom rimlig tid. Väntar du för länge med att klaga kan du förlora möjligheten att kräva att företaget ska rätta till felet. 

Vad kan du kräva av företaget vid fel? 

Konsumenttjänstlagen styr vad du kan kräva. 

I första hand: att företaget åtgärdar felet 

Du kan i första hand kräva att företaget kostnadsfritt rättar till felet. Du har rätt att få det resultat som du och företaget har kommit överens om. Att det ska göras kostnadsfritt innebär att företaget får stå för alla kostnader som är förknippade med att åtgärda felet – till exempel material, resor och arbete.   

I andra hand: att du får ett prisavdrag 

Prisavdraget ska motsvara felet, till exempel vad det kostar att få felet åtgärdat av ett annat företag.  

I tredje hand: att du får häva avtalet 

Att häva avtalet innebär att arbetet avbryts, och att du inte är skyldig att betala för tjänsten. Företaget har då heller ingen skyldighet att slutföra arbetet.  

Ersättning på grund av felet 

Det är företaget som ska stå för eventuella kostnader eller ekonomiska förluster som du drabbas av på grund av felet. Exempel kan vara: 

  • Inkomstförlust, till exempel om du måste ta ledigt från jobbet för att titta på felet tillsammans med företaget 

  • Kostnad för utlåtande från besiktningsman eller annan sakkunnig (om det behövs för att kunna bevisa felet) 

Tänk på att det är faktiska kostnader, inte besväret eller tiden du lägger ned på reklamationen, som du kan kräva ersättning för. Du behöver kunna visa underlag, till exempel kvitton, fakturor eller andra intyg, på vilka kostnader du har haft och kostnaderna ska vara rimliga och ha direkt koppling till felet.  

Rätt att hålla inne betalning 

Om tjänsten är felaktig har du enligt lag rätt att hålla inne med en del eller hela betalningen som säkerhet. Det fungerar som ett påtryckningsmedel mot företaget och en trygghet för dig.  

Den del av betalningen du håller inne med ska motsvara felen. I princip betyder det att du kan hålla inne med så stor summa att det täcker kostnaden för att ta in ett annat företag för att åtgärda felen. Ibland kan det hjälpa att ta kontakt med andra företag inom branschen för att få en prisuppgift på vad det skulle kosta att åtgärda felet. 

Det är viktigt att du skriftligen meddelar företaget att du håller inne med betalning och varför. Du kan till exempel skicka ett mejl eller ett sms.  

Om företaget har orsakat skador 

Enligt konsumenttjänstlagen har du rätt att kräva skadestånd av företaget om de orsakar skador i samband med att tjänsten utförs. Det kan handla om att föremålet för tjänsten skadas, till exempel om företaget du anlitat för att byta däck på bilen gör en repa i lacken. Det kan också handla om att företaget skadar något annat av din egendom, till exempel om företaget som du har anlitat för att reparera din värmepump tappar ett verktyg som orsakar en skada på golvet. 

Dokumentera felet 

När du upptäcker fel eller brister är det viktigt att du dokumenterar vad som är fel. Dels behöver du kunna visa för företaget vad du tycker är fel, dels blir dokumentationen viktig om du och företaget inte kommer överens om felet.  

Du kan dokumentera felet genom att till exempel ta bilder eller filma. Tänk på att kvaliteten behöver vara så bra att felet syns tydligt. Om det inte finns något bra sätt att dokumentera felet kan du beskriva felet när du kontaktar företaget för att klaga.  

Kontakta företaget och be att felet åtgärdas 

Efter att du har upptäckt ett fel är det viktigt att du så snart som möjligt kontaktar företaget för att ge dem chansen att undersöka och åtgärda felet. Det är ganska vanligt att företaget behöver komma ut och titta på felet för att kunna ta ställning till vad som behöver göras. Det kanske inte heller är tydligt vad som har orsakat felet. 

Det är alltid bra att ha skriftligt underlag som visar att du har kontaktat företaget för att klaga. Har du möjlighet är det därför bra att skicka sms eller mejl. Då kan du också bifoga underlag som visar felet, till exempel bilder. 

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens 

Om du behöver vägledning kan du kontakta Hallå konsument. Vi är en nationell upplysningstjänst som kan ge information om dina rättigheter och vilka alternativ du har för att komma vidare. Vi ger oberoende vägledning och kan därför inte bedöma ditt enskilda ärende, lösa tvister eller kontakta företag åt dig. 

Kontaktuppgifter till Hallå konsument

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens kan du i många fall göra en anmälan till Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN) för att få tvisten prövad. Det är kostnadsfritt. 

Läs mer om att göra en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats

För att kunna anmäla till ARN måste företaget ha sagt helt eller delvis nej till ditt krav, eller inte svarat alls.

Fäll ihop

Source: KonsumentverketECC Sverige

Proofread: 8 February 2022

This page was funded by the European Union's Consumer Programme (2014-2020). ECC Sweden is a part of the European Consumer Centres Network, but also a part of the Swedish Consumer Agency’s information service Hello Consumer. At ECC Sweden, consumers who made cross-border purchases within the EU, Iceland, Norway or the UK can get free help and advice from our legal advisers.

This website is part of an EU quality Network

Your Europe is an EU website that will help you do things in other European countries - without hassle or unnecessary bureaucracy. Information on Your Europe is provided by the relevant departments of the European Commission and complemented by content provided by the authorities in every country it covers.To Your Europe website