Buying from companies based outside the EU

Handla från företag utanför EU - Engelska

When you have ordered a product from a country outside the EU, it is regarded as a “private import.” This means that you are legally obligated to pay VAT. In addition there may be customs duties and other fees due. Furthermore, you do not have the same consumer protection as when you buy a product from a merchant based in another EU country.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

What fees may apply?

When you make a purchase, information about the price, taxes and fees must be displayed. Bear in mind that it is important to read the terms and conditions before making a purchase.

Customs duty and VAT

You are obliged to pay customs duty and VAT on goods that you order from a country outside the EU, for example China. The amount of customs duty varies for different goods, depending upon declared value of the goods and what classification the goods falls into. This is usually a percentage calculated on the goods plus the cost of shipping and any shipping insurance. The basic rule is that you must are obligated to pay customs duty if the declared value of the goods exceeds SEK 1,600.

You are always required to pay VAT. For most goods, the VAT rate is 25%. When you order goods from certain online stores, you already pay the VAT at the time of purchase. Swedish Customs’ import duty calculator Tullräknaren helps you to calculate customs duties, VAT and other taxes and charges when you purchase from companies outside the EU. 

Calculate the customs duty and other costs directly on the Swedish Customs website (In Swedish)

Consumer rights when purchasing items from outside the EU 

If you have purchased something from a country outside the EU, you should be aware that you are not necessarily protected by EU consumer law.

If the company is targeting Swedish consumers, normally Swedish law generally governs the transaction. Nevertheless it can sometimes be difficult to determine whether a website is targeting consumers in Sweden. Some things that may make Swedish law apply are: 

  • the website is in Swedish 

  • you can pay in Swedish currency 

  • there is a telephone number for the company that starts with +46

  • the letters after the last dot in the URL are se.

If Swedish law applies

If Swedish legislation applies, you may have the right to cancel your order. You also have the right to complain about the product if it is defective. Further information about the right of whitdrawal

Further information about lodging complaint against a defective product

Statutes and regulations differ between countries 

If the statutes and regulations of the country where the company is located apply, you may not have the same rights as if the company were located in an EU country. In such situations, try to determine the company’s specific policies and practices. When you are shopping online the terms and conditions for your purchase must be available on the company’s website. 

It may also be wise to find out if there are any manufacturer warranties and if there is a company in Sweden or the EU that can assist you if an issue arises.

Complaints or asserting warranty rights with purchases from companies outside the EU 

If you have a problem with something you have purchased, you should always start by contacting the company you have purchased it from to raise your concerns and attempt to reach a resolution. It is advisable to send an e-mail, for example.

Save the documentation 

It’s advisable to retain copies of the written communications with the company, such as e-mails and screenshots of chat history or contact forms. This is important if later on you need to present evidence that you have sought to enforce a warranty right or otherwise lodged a complaint, and when. It can also be useful to have documentary evidence of what you and the company have agreed upon to resolve the situation. Without such documentation, it may be difficult for you to prove your case in the event of submitting a complaint to a government agency or filing a lawsuit. 

ARN may be able to examine and assess your case 

If a company is targeting Swedish consumers, the Swedish National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) may be able to investigate your case if you have complained to the company but have not been able to resolve the issue. 

Further information is available on the National Board for Consumer Disputes website 

Report to the

You can also draw attention to the problem by file a complaint via the website A report to will not help you in your individual case, but can be used as a basis for future supervision. The service is the result of the international collaboration ICPEN and is not limited to Europe. Currently, around 30 countries participate and the service is available in several languages. Further information at

Purchasing from companies in the North America

If you have purchased something online from a company in the North America, you may want to check whether the company is listed in the Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) online report. The Better Business Bureau is a trade association in the North America, and is dedicated to promoting good business ethics. 

The Better Business Bureau website 

If you want to complain about a product you have purchased in the North America, you should first contact the company directly. If you do not reach an agreement with the company, you can turn to the Better Business Bureau. Note that only companies which are members of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) are obligated to accept the BBB as a mediator and dispute resolution service. In other situations, it is entirely up to the company.

Counterfeit goods, pirated goods, and restricted items 

Some items that are illegal or otherwise prohibited to be sold in Sweden. may be legally sold in other countries. If you intend to import an item, verify that the item is legally permitted in Sweden. Keep in mind that goods sold online may be fakes. If the price of the product is unreasonably low, be particularly wary. 

For detailed information on counterfeit goods and other goods that are prohibited, you can contact the Swedish Customs Service, as they are the enforcement authority in this area. 

Further information about counterfeit and prohibited goods is available on the Swedish Customs website 

Assistance may be elusive when shopping at a merchant outside the EU  

You may encounter difficulties in obtaining assistance if you encounter problems after buying from a merchant in a country outside the EU. If you have purchased something from a merchant in Norway, Iceland or the UK, you can contact ECC Sweden for legal advice and assistance. Note that ECC Sweden cannot assist you if you have a dispute with a company based outside the EU or these countries. You can contact ECC Sweden’s advisors by contacting our information service.

Contact us

Many consumer organisations around the world are affiliated with Consumers International. On their website, you can read about basic consumer rights and find a consumer organisation in the country where the company is located. 

Consumers International’s website 

Purchases from the UK after Brexit 

The UK’s withdrawal from the EU has culminated in an agreement that became effective as of 1 January 2021. Broadly speaking, the parties have agreed to maintain a high level of consumer protection and for regulators and other public authorities on both sides to continue to work together. For you as a consumer in Sweden, there are some things that can be useful to know: 

  • If you purchase something online from a UK website targeting Swedish consumers (the website is in Swedish or the prices are stated in Swedish kronor), Swedish rules apply. This means that you have a 14-day cooling off period with a right of withdrawal and a 3-year statutory guarantee. 

  • If you purchase from a UK website that is not targeted towards Swedish consumers, UK law applies. At present, UK legislation and regulations are very similar to those in Sweden, but it is advisable to ascertain what applies before you make a purchase. 

  • When you purchase something from Britain you will need to pay import VAT on your goods.  

  • If your purchase has a value of more than SEK 1,600, you may be obligated to pay customs duty. However, if the seller can certify that the product originated in the UK, you can avoid paying customs duty. You can find more information about this on the Swedish Customs website. 

Swedish Customs webpage about Brexit  

Need advice or assistance? 

The ECC office in the UK is no longer part of the ECC network. However, they are still able to deal with cases involving UK consumers and businesses, which means that Swedish consumers can still contact ECC Sweden for advice and possible mediation. It is unclear for how long this possibility will exist. 

If you have questions or concerns about purchases made from merchants in the UK, you can contact our information service. 

Contact us

The Europe Direct Information Centre (EDIC) will also answer your questions about the EU and Brexit. 

The EU’s website 

Handla från företag utanför EU

När du har beställt en vara från ett land utanför EU räknas det som privatimport. Det betyder att du alltid måste betala moms och ofta även tull och andra avgifter. Dessutom har du inte samma konsumentskydd som när du handlar en vara från ett EU-land. 

Vilka avgifter kan tillkomma?

Information om priset, skatter och avgifter ska framgå när du genomför ett köp. Tänk på att det är viktigt att läsa avtalsvillkoren innan du gör ett köp.

Tull och moms

Du är skyldig att betala tull och moms på varor som du beställer från ett land utanför EU, exempelvis Kina. Tullavgiften är olika stor för olika varor och beror på hur mycket varan kostar och vad det är för slags vara. Det är oftast en procentsats som beräknas på varan inklusive frakt och eventuell fraktförsäkring. Grundregeln är att du ska betala tull om varan kostar mer än 1 600 kronor. Moms måste du alltid betala. För de flesta varor är momsen 25 procent. När du beställer varor från vissa webbutiker betalar du momsen redan vid köptillfället. Tullverkets tjänst Tullräknaren hjälper dig att räkna ut tull, moms och andra avgifter när du handlar från företag utanför EU.

Räkna ut tullavgiften på Tullverkets webbplats

Transportföretagets avgift

Transportföretaget kan lägga på en avgift för att hantera ditt paket och göra din tulldeklaration. Om du vill veta hur de räknade ut avgiften är det dem du får kontakta.

Konsumenträttigheter när du handlar utanför EU 

Om du har handlat från ett land utanför EU är det inte säkert att du skyddas av EU:s konsumentlagstiftning.

Om företaget vänder sig till svenska konsumenter är det normalt svensk lagstiftning som gäller. Ibland kan det vara svårt att avgöra om en webbplats vänder sig till konsumenter i Sverige. Men några saker som kan göra att svensk lag gäller är att: 

  • webbsidan är på svenska 

  • du kan betala i svensk valuta 

  • det finns telefonnummer till företaget som startar med +46

  • bokstäverna efter den sista punkten i webbadressen är se.

Om svensk lag gäller

Om svensk lagstiftning gäller kan du ha rätt att ångra din beställning. Du har även rätt att reklamera varan om den är felaktig.

Läs mer om ångerrätt

Läs mer om att reklamera felaktig vara

Lagstiftning kan skilja sig mellan länder 

Om det är lagstiftningen i företagets land som gäller är det inte säkert att du har rätt att ångra eller reklamera beställningen på samma sätt som om företaget finns i ett EU-land. Försök att hitta information om reklamation och företagets ansvar för eventuella fel. Köpvillkoren och reglerna för ditt köp ska finnas på företagets webbplats om du handlar på nätet.

Det kan också vara klokt att ta reda på om det finns garantier kopplade till varan och om det i så fall finns något företag i Sverige eller inom EU som kan hjälpa till om det uppstår problem.

Klaga på köp från företag utanför EU 

Om du upplever problem med något du har köpt ska du alltid börja med att klaga och ställa krav till företaget du har handlat av. Det är bra att klaga via till exempel mejl. 

Spara dokumentation 

Det är bra att spara kommunikation med företaget, till exempel mejl, skärmdumpar på kontaktformulär och chatthistorik. Det är viktigt att kunna bevisa att du klagat och när. Det är också bra att ha bevis på vad du och företaget kommit överens om. Utan bevis kan det vara svårt för dig att få rätt vid en eventuell tvist med företaget.

ARN kan eventuellt pröva ditt ärende 

Om ett företag vänder sig till svenska konsumenter kan Allmänna reklamationsnämnden, ARN, eventuellt pröva ditt ärende. Du ska först ha klagat till företaget, utan att lyckats lösa problemet.

Läs mer på Allmänna reklamationsnämndens webbplats 

Anmäl till

Ett sätt att uppmärksamma problemet är också att klaga via webbplatsen En anmälan till kommer inte hjälp dig i ditt enskilda ärende men kan användas som underlag till framtida tillsynsinsatser. Tjänsten är resultatet av det internationella samarbetet ICPEN och är inte begränsad till Europa. För närvarande deltar drygt 30 länder och tjänsten är tillgänglig på ett flertal språk. 

Läs mer på

Handla från företag i Nordamerika

Om du har e-handlat från Nordamerika är ett tips att kontrollera om företaget du handlat av finns med i branschorganisationen Better Business Bureau's (BBB) online-rapport.  BBB är en Nordamerikansk branschorganisation med syftet att främja god affärsetik.

BBB:s webbplats 

Om du vill klaga på en vara du har köpt i USA vänder du dig i första hand direkt till företaget. Kommer du inte överens med företaget kan du vända dig till BBB. Kom ihåg att endast företag som är medlemmar i BBB är skyldiga att acceptera BBB som medlare och tvistlösare. I övriga fall är det helt upp till företaget. 

Förfalskningar och förbjudna varor 

Varor som är tillåtna att sälja i andra länder kan vara förbjudna i Sverige. Kontrollera att varan är tillåten. Tänk på att varor som säljs på nätet kan vara förfalskningar. Var extra försiktig om priset på varan är orimligt lågt. 

Kontakta Tullverket för mer information om förbjudna varor och förfalskningar. De är tillsynsmyndighet på området.

Förbjudna varor och förfalskningar på Tullverkets webbplats

Svårt att få hjälp när du handlar utanför EU 

Det kan vara svårt att få hjälp om du får problem efter att ha handlat från ett land utanför EU. Om du har handlat från Norge, Storbritannien eller Island kan du kontakta Konsument Europa för rådgivning. Observera att Konsument Europa inte kan hjälpa dig om du har en tvist med ett företag som har sitt säte utanför EU, Norge, Storbritannien och Island. Du når Konsument Europas rådgivare genom att kontakta vår vägledning. 

Kontakta oss 

Många konsumentorganisationer världen över är medlemmar in Consumers International. På deras webbplats kan du läsa om grundläggande konsumenträttigheter och leta efter en konsumentorganisation i det land som företaget finns i. 

Consumers Internationals webbplats 

Att handla från Storbritannien efter Brexit 

Storbritanniens utträde ur EU har landat i ett avtal som började gälla från den 1 januari 2021. På det stora hela har parterna kommit överens om att upprätthålla ett högt konsumentskydd och att myndigheter på bägge sidor ska samarbeta. 

För dig som konsument i Sverige finns det några saker som är bra att känna till: 

  • Om du handlar på nätet från en brittisk webbsida som riktar sig mot svenska konsumenter (sidan är på svenska eller priserna anges i svenska kronor) gäller svenska regler. Det betyder att du har 14 dagars ångerrätt och 3 års reklamationsrätt. 

  • Om du handlar från en brittisk webbsida som inte riktar sig mot svenska konsumenter gäller brittisk lagstiftning. I dagsläget är lagstiftningen i Storbritannien väldigt lik den svenska, men det kan vara bra att ta reda på vad som gäller innan du gör ett köp. 

  • När du handlar från Storbritannien måste du betala importmoms på din vara.  

  • Handlar du för mer än 1600 kronor kan du behöva betala tullavgift. Men om säljaren kan försäkra att produkten har sitt ursprung från Storbritannien går det att slippa den avgiften. Du hittar mer information om detta på Tullverkets hemsida. 

Tullverkets sida om Brexit  

Behöver du hjälp eller rådgivning? 

ECC-kontoret i Storbritannien är inte längre en del av ECC-nätverket. De har dock fortfarande möjlighet att hantera ärenden som rör brittiska konsumenter och företag, vilket innebär att svenska konsumenter fortfarande kan kontakta Konsument Europa för rådgivning och eventuell medling. Det är oklart hur länge denna möjlighet kommer att finnas. 

Har du frågor eller funderingar vid köp som gjorts från företag i Storbritannien kan du kontakta vår vägledning. 

Kontakta oss 

Europa direkts informationskontor (EDIC) svarar också på dina frågor om EU och Brexit. 

EU:s webbplats 

Fäll ihop

Source: Konsumentverket

Proofread: 12 February 2023