The contractor made a mistake

Hantverkaren har gjort fel - Engelska

When a contractor has done a poor job, you have the right to file a claim, which means that you complain about the fault. For many skilled trade services, you have up to ten years to file complaint about faults in the work.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Some examples of tradesmen

  • Carpenter
  • Painter
  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Bricklayer

When is the service defective?

A service can be considered to be defective if the results do not correspond to what you and the company have agreed on. This can also concern the work not being professionally done, such as if the work is poorly done or if there are defects. The work being done professionally means that the results must correspond to what is expected of a knowledgeable and earnest professional. You should be able, for example, to expect the company to follow the guidelines and recommendations that exist for the industry he or she works in.

How much time do you have to file complaint about defects

Skilled trade services are covered by the Consumer Services Act. In the law, there are two different time limits for how much time you have to file complaints about faults, depending on what kind of service is involved. For work on real property, you have the right  to file complaint on the fault for ten years. Work on real property encompasses, among other things:

  • building renovations

  • painting

  • floor laying

  • drainage

  • re-roofing

  • drilling of water wells

For work that is not done on land, buildings or other fixed objects, you have a three-year guarantee. For example, there is a three-year guarantee on most repair services. If you engage a company to repair your broken heat pump, the three-year limit for guarantee claims applies.

File complain as soon as you discover the fault

You must file complaint on the fault within a reasonable amount of time from when you discovered or should have discovered the fault. If you file complaint within two months, it always counts as being within a reasonable amount of time. If you wait too long to file complaint, you may lose the possibility of demanding that the company correct the fault.

What can you demand of the company in the event of a fault or defect?

The Consumer Services Act determines what demands you can make.

Firstly: that the company fixes the fault

You can firstly demand that the company fixes the fault free of charge. You have the right to receive the results that you and the company agreed on. This being done free of charge means that the company must bear all of the costs associated with fixing the fault – such as materials, travel and labour. 

Secondly: that you receive a price reduction

The price reduction should match the defect, such as what it costs to have the defect fixed by another company.

Thirdly: that you can revoke the agreement

Revoking the agreement means that the work is discontinued, and that you are not obliged to pay for the service. The company then also has no obligation to complete the work.

Compensation on the grounds of the fault

It is the company that must bear any costs or financial losses that you incur due to the fault. Examples of this may be:

  • Loss of income, for example if you have to take time off of work to inspect the fault together with the company

  • Cost for an opinion from an inspector or other expert (if needed to be able to prove the fault)

Remember that it is actual costs, not the trouble or the time you spend on the complaint, that you can demand compensation for. You need to be able to present documentation on what costs you have had and the costs must be reasonable and have a direct connection to the fault or defect. Documentation can, for example, be receipts, invoices or certificates.

Right to withhold payment

If the service is incorrect, you have the right by law to withhold part or all of the payment as security. This serves as a means of pressure on the company and a security for you.

The part of the payment you withhold should correspond to the fault. This essentially means that you can withhold such a large amount that it covers the cost to bring in another company to fix the faults. Sometimes, it can help to contact other companies in the industry to get a price quote for what it would cost to fix the fault.

It is important that you notify the company in writing that you are withholding payment and why. You can send an email or a text message, for example.

If the contractor caused damage

According to the Consumer Services Act, you have the right to demand damages from the company if they cause damage in connection with the service being performed. This may involve the object of the service being damaged or the company damaging something else on your property; for example, if the company you engaged to repair your heat pump drops a tool that causes damage to the floor.

Document the fault

When you discover faults or defects, it is important that you document what is wrong. You need to be able to show the company what you think is wrong and the documentation becomes important if you and the company do not agree on the fault.

You can document the fault by taking pictures or filming, for example. Remember that the quality needs to be good enough that the fault is clearly visible. Sometimes, you may need to take several pictures to be able to show the fault in a good way. Both close-ups and pictures that show what the fault looks like in relation to the surroundings may be needed. If there is no good way to document the fault, you can describe it when you contact the company to file complaint.

Contact the contractor and ask that the fault be fixed

After you have discovered a defect, it is important that you contact the company as soon as possible to give them the chance to investigate and fix the defect. It is somewhat common for the company to need to come out and look at the fault to be able to decide what needs to be done. It also might not be clear what caused the defect.

You do not need to know the cause of the fault when you contact the company. What is important is that you point out that you discovered a fault as soon as possible. However, you may be obliged to compensate the company for the inspection if it turns out that the fault was not caused by their work.

It is always good to have written documentation that shows that you contacted the company to file complaint. If possible, it is therefore good to send a text message or email. Then, you can also attach documentation that shows the fault, such as pictures.

If you do not reach an agreement with the contractor

If you need guidance, you can contact Hallå konsument [Hello Consumer]. We are a national information service that can provide information on your rights and what options you have to make progress. We provide independent guidance and therefore cannot assess your individual matter, resolve disputes or contact companies for you.

Contact information to Hallå konsument

If you and the company do not agree, you can in many cases file a report with the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) to have the dispute tried. It is free of charge.

Read more about filing a report on the ARN website

To be able to file a report to ARN, the company must have said partly or entirely no to your requirement, or has not responded at all.

Hantverkaren har gjort fel 

När hantverkaren har gjort ett dåligt jobb har du rätt att reklamera, det vill säga klaga på felen. För många hantverkstjänster har du upp till tio år på dig att klaga på fel i arbetet. 

När är tjänsten felaktig? 

En tjänst kan ses som felaktig om resultatet inte motsvarar det du och företaget har kommit överens om. Det kan också handla om att arbetet inte är fackmässigt utfört, till exempel om arbetet är slarvigt utfört eller om det finns brister. Att arbetet utförs fackmässigt betyder att resultatet ska motsvara det som förväntas av en kunnig och seriös yrkesperson. Du ska till exempel kunna förutsätta att företaget följer de riktlinjer och rekommendationer som finns för branschen hen arbetar i. 

Så lång tid har du på dig att klaga på fel 

Hantverkstjänster omfattas av konsumenttjänstlagen. I lagen finns det två olika tidsgränser för hur lång tid du har på dig att klaga på fel, beroende på vad det gäller för typ av tjänst. Vid arbete på fast egendom har du rätt att klaga på felet i tio år. Arbete på fast egendom omfattar bland annat: 

  • renovering av byggnad 

  • målning 

  • golvläggning 

  • dränering 

  • takbyte 

  • borrning av vattenbrunn 

För arbete som inte utförs på mark, byggnader eller andra fasta saker har du tre års reklamationsrätt. Som exempel är det tre års reklamationsrätt på de flesta reparationstjänster. Anlitar du ett företag för att reparera din trasiga värmepump gäller den treåriga reklamationsfristen.  

Klaga så fort du upptäcker felet 

Du måste klaga på felet inom rimlig tid från det att du upptäckte eller borde ha upptäckt felet. Om du klagar inom två månader räknas det alltid som inom rimlig tid. Väntar du för länge med att klaga kan du förlora möjligheten att kräva att företaget ska rätta till felet. 

Vad kan du kräva av företaget vid fel? 

Konsumenttjänstlagen styr vilka krav du kan ställa. 

I första hand: att företaget åtgärdar felet 

Du kan i första hand kräva att företaget kostnadsfritt rättar till felet. Du har rätt att få det resultat som du och företaget har kommit överens om. Att det ska göras kostnadsfritt innebär att företaget får stå för alla kostnader som är förknippade med att åtgärda felet – till exempel material, resor och arbete.   

I andra hand: att du får ett prisavdrag 

Prisavdraget ska motsvara felet, till exempel vad det kostar att få felet åtgärdat av ett annat företag.  

I tredje hand: att du får häva avtalet 

Att häva avtalet innebär att arbetet avbryts, och att du inte är skyldig att betala för tjänsten. Företaget har då heller ingen skyldighet att slutföra arbetet.  

Ersättning på grund av felet 

Det är företaget som ska stå för eventuella kostnader eller ekonomiska förluster som du drabbas av på grund av felet. Exempel på detta kan vara: 

  • Inkomstförlust, till exempel om du måste ta ledigt från jobbet för att titta på felet tillsammans med företaget 

  • Kostnad för utlåtande från besiktningsman eller annan sakkunnig (om det behövs för att kunna bevisa felet) 

Tänk på att det är faktiska kostnader, inte besväret eller tiden du lägger ned på reklamationen, som du kan kräva ersättning för. Du behöver kunna visa underlag på vilka kostnader du har haft och kostnaderna ska vara rimliga och ha direkt koppling till felet. Underlag kan till exempel vara kvitton, fakturor eller intyg.  

Rätt att hålla inne betalning 

Om tjänsten är felaktig har du enligt lag rätt att hålla inne med en del eller hela betalningen som säkerhet. Det fungerar som ett påtryckningsmedel mot företaget och en trygghet för dig.  

Den del av betalningen du håller inne med ska motsvara felen. I princip betyder det att du kan hålla inne med så stor summa att det täcker kostnaden för att ta in ett annat företag för att åtgärda felen. Ibland kan det hjälpa att ta kontakt med andra företag inom branschen för att få en prisuppgift på vad det skulle kosta att åtgärda felet. 

Det är viktigt att du skriftligen meddelar företaget att du håller inne med betalning och varför. Du kan till exempel skicka ett mejl eller ett sms.  

Om hantverkaren har orsakat skador 

Enligt konsumenttjänstlagen har du rätt att kräva skadestånd av företaget om de orsakar skador i samband med att tjänsten utförs. Det kan handla om att föremålet för tjänsten skadas eller att företaget skadar något annat av din egendom, till exempel om företaget som du har anlitat för att reparera din värmepump tappar ett verktyg som orsakar en skada på golvet. 

Dokumentera felet 

När du upptäcker fel eller brister är det viktigt att du dokumenterar vad som är fel. Dels behöver du kunna visa för företaget vad du tycker är fel, dels blir dokumentationen viktig om du och företaget inte kommer överens om felet.  

Du kan dokumentera felet genom att till exempel ta bilder eller filma. Tänk på att kvaliteten behöver vara så bra att felet syns tydligt. Ibland kan du behöva ta flera bilder för att kunna visa felet på ett bra sätt. Det kan behövas både närbilder och bilder som visar hur felet ser ut i förhållande till omgivningen. Om det inte finns något bra sätt att dokumentera felet kan du beskriva felet när du kontaktar företaget för att klaga.  

Kontakta hantverkaren och be att felet åtgärdas 

Efter att du har upptäckt ett fel är det viktigt att du så snart som möjligt kontaktar företaget för att ge dem chansen att undersöka och åtgärda felet. Det är ganska vanligt att företaget behöver komma ut och titta på felet för att kunna ta ställning till vad som behöver göras. Det kanske inte heller är tydligt vad som har orsakat felet. 

Du behöver inte veta orsaken till felet när du kontaktar företaget, det viktiga är att du så snart som möjligt påpekar att du har upptäckt ett fel. Däremot kan du bli skyldig att ersätta företaget för undersökningen om det visar sig att felet inte är orsakat av deras arbete. 

Det är alltid bra att ha skriftligt underlag som visar att du har kontaktat företaget för att klaga. Har du möjlighet är det därför bra att skicka sms eller mejl. Då kan du också bifoga underlag som visar felet, till exempel bilder. 

Om du inte kommer överens med hantverkaren 

Om du behöver vägledning kan du kontakta Hallå konsument. Vi är en nationell upplysningstjänst som kan ge information om dina rättigheter och vilka alternativ du har för att komma vidare. Vi ger oberoende vägledning och kan därför inte bedöma ditt enskilda ärende, lösa tvister eller kontakta företag åt dig. 

Kontaktuppgifter till Hallå konsument

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens kan du i många fall göra en anmälan till Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN) för att få tvisten prövad. Det är kostnadsfritt. 

Läs mer om att göra en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats

För att kunna anmäla till ARN måste företaget ha sagt helt eller delvis nej till ditt krav, eller inte svarat alls.

Fäll ihop

Source: Konsumentverket

Proofread: 21 February 2022