Buying from a private individual

Köpa av privatperson - Engelska

When you purchase something from a private individual, you do not have the same protection as when you buy from a commercial enterprise. The Sales of Goods Act applies, but it is not mandatory that all of its provisions apply to a contract. This means that you and the seller can prepare your own contract and make your own agreement that will substitute and override the provisions in the statute.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Keep the following in mind 

  • It can be good to examine the product yourself before you decide whether you want to buy it.

  • Always examine the item if asked by the seller to do so.

  • Consider writing an agreement that states what you have agreed on, including the price and the condition of the item.

  • You may have the right to complain about an item to the seller even if the seller has waived responsibility for errors.

This is what applies to you as a buyer 

Examine the item before purchase 

When you buy something from a private person, it is good to examine and check the item yourself to be sure if you want to buy it or not.

However, there is no direct requirement to examine the goods before the purchase in the Sales of Goods Act. What is stated in the law is that you, as the buyer, cannot complain about errors that you can be assumed to have known about at the time of purchase. It also says that if the seller told you to investigate but you ignored it, you cannot complain about errors you were able to discover during an investigation.

Defective goods – your legal rights 

You have less statutory legal rights and consumer protection when you purchase an item from a private individual than from a commercial enterprise. Consumer law does not apply to purchases among private individuals. Instead, the Sale of Goods Act applies. The provisions in the statute are not mandatory. This means that you and the seller can write your own contract, or make an agreement, which replaces and overrides the provisions in the statute. 

But even if your protection is weaker for private purchases, you may have the right to complain about the goods if they are damaged or unusable. This is true even if the seller has sold it ‘as is’ or similarly worded. 

The goods can be considered defective if: 

  • the goods are not as the seller has said to you they were 

  • the goods are in a much worse condition than you could have anticipated, for example based on the price of the goods 

  • the seller has failed to inform you about a serious defect in the goods of which the seller was aware of. 

If the goods are faulty, you have the right to make a claim against the seller. 

  • Your first recourse would be insisting on that the seller rectifies the faults, for example by repairing them. 

  • If it is not possible to rectify the defect, you can ask for a reduction in price. The price reduction should be equivalent to the cost of having the item repaired or the problem rectified. 

  • If neither a repair nor a price reduction is possible, you can ask insist on rescinding the purchase. This means that you can return the goods to the seller and get your money back. 

  • You can also claim damages from the seller if you can prove that you have incurred extra costs because of the faulty item. In such a situation, you must be able to produce evidence of the costs you have incurred and that these costs are directly related to the fault. 

Complain to the seller 

Contact the seller if the goods are faulty and you want to make a complaint. Explain why you think the goods are faulty and what you remedy you want from the seller. It is advisable to submit your complaint in writing, so that you have evidence if necessary. For example, you can send an e-mail or a SMS message. 


In some cases, goods are sold with a warranty. It is not certain that an original product warranty will remain valid when you are purchasing something from another private individual. The manufacture warranty may only apply to the original purchaser who bought the item from the company. Whether or not the warranty is transferred to the new owner depends on the terms and conditions of the warranty. 

To find out what applies in your particular situation, you will need to read the terms and conditions of the warranty. If you do not have access to the terms and conditions, you can contact the company that originally sold the item. If the seller has promised you a warranty and you later find that the company declines to honour a warranty, you should contact the seller to make a complain. 

Right of withdrawal for purchases between private individuals 

You do not have a statutory right of withdrawal when you purchase something from a private individual. For you to have a right to reconsider and rescind the purchase you and the seller must have agreed on this before the purchase was made. 

Responsibility for transport/delivery 

Responsibility for the goods passes from the seller to the buyer when the goods are handed over. When an item is considered to have been handed over depends on how the item is delivered to you. 

If you pick up the item 

If you pick up the item from the seller, or from a location agreed between you and the seller, the responsibility for the item passes to you when you pick it up. 

If the seller transports the goods to you 

If the goods are transported to you by the seller the goods are not considered turned over until they are handed over to you. It is at that point that you assume responsibility for the goods. 

If the goods are sent by a shipping company/carrier 

When the goods are transported by a shipping company, they are considered to have been handed over to you when the seller hands them over to the carrier for delivery. If the goods is damaged or lost on the during transport, you cannot complain to the shipping company if it is the seller who arranged the shipping. You can only complain to the shipping company if you are the one who has an agreement with them.

If you do not have an agreement with the shipping company, you can still try to contact them to see if they can help you in any way. Also contact the seller to see if he or she can help you in contacting the shippingt company.

Via shipping company and within the same city

When an item is handed over to a shipping company and the transport takes place within the same city, the actual legal handover does not occur until the item has been physically delivered to you. That means that the seller is legally responsible for any damage occurring in transit and may claim compensation from the shipping company. 

Duty of care – taking care of the goods 

Under the Sale of Goods Act, both the buyer and the seller have a duty of care. This means that the seller must take care of the goods for you if you do not pick them up on time. The same applies if you have received the goods, but for some reason you need to return them. Until then, you must take good care of the goods for the seller. 

Suspected fraud 

If you have paid for a product but have not received it, it could possibly be a case of fraud. Start by contacting the seller and asking for the delivery of the item purchased or that your money be refunded. If this does not help, you should consider filing a criminal complaint with the police. 

Further information about fraud is available on website of the Swedish Police (In Swedish)

If you need guidance or advice 

As consumer law does not apply to purchases between private persons, the consumer information centre Hallå Konsument can only provide basic general information on your rights and obligations. 

If you need more in-depth information or would like to discuss your individual case, you may need to contact someone who is knowledgeable in this field, such as a lawyer. 

The municipality's consumer guidance

Many municipalities offer local consumer guidance. In some cases, you can turn to them for free information and support for private purchases. The help offered varies from municipality to municipality.

Adjudication of disputes in a court or tribunal 

If you and the seller get into a dispute that you cannot resolve between both of you, it is, in the first instance the local district court, that can hear and adjudicate on the dispute. 

In such a situation, it may be worthwhile to contact a lawyer who can advise you to determine your rights and what you can make a formal claim or demand for, and what remedies you might have available to you. You should check to see if you have any legal expenses coverage via an insurance policy. Sometimes legal assistance insurance can cover certain costs such as legal fees for representation. 

Further information about settling a dispute in court

Köpa av privatperson 

När du köper något av en privatperson har du inte samma skydd som när du handlar av ett företag. Det är köplagen som gäller men den är inte tvingande. Det betyder att du och säljaren kan skriva ett eget avtal och göra en egen överenskommelse som gäller över lagen. 

Tänk på det här 

  • Det kan vara bra att själv undersöka varan innan du bestämmer dig för om du vill köpa den.

  • Undersök alltid varan om du blir uppmanad av säljaren att göra det.

  • Skriv gärna ett avtal där det framgår vad ni kommit överens om kring bland annat pris och varans skick.

  • Du kan ha rätt att reklamera en vara till säljaren även om säljaren har friskrivit sig från ansvar för fel.

Det här gäller för dig som köpare 

Undersöka varan innan köp

När du köper något av en privatperson är det bra att själv undersöka och kontrollera varan för att vara säker på om du vill köpa den eller inte.

Det finns dock inget direkt krav att undersöka varan innan köpet i köplagen. Det som står i lagen är att du som köparen inte kan klaga på fel som du kan antas ha känt till vid köpet. Det står också att om säljaren sagt åt dig att undersöka men du struntat i det kan du inte klaga på fel du kunnat upptäckt vid en undersökning.

Fel på varan – dina rättigheter 

Du har sämre skydd när du köper en vara av en privatperson än av ett företag. Konsumentlagstiftningen gäller inte för privatköp. Istället är det köplagen som gäller. Köplagen är inte tvingande. Det betyder att du och säljaren kan skriva ett eget avtal, eller göra en överenskommelse, som gäller över lagen. Men även om ditt skydd är sämre vid privatköp kan du ha rätt att klaga på varan om den är trasig eller felaktig. Det gäller även om säljaren har sålt den i ”befintligt skick” eller med liknande formulering. Varan kan ses som felaktig om: 

  • varan inte är som säljaren informerat dig 

  • varan är i mycket sämre skick än du kunnat förutsätta, till exempel utifrån varans pris 

  • säljaren har låtit bli att berätta för dig om något allvarligt fel på varan som säljaren kände till. 

Om varan är felaktig har du rätt att ställa krav på säljaren. 

  • I första hand kan du kräva att säljaren åtgärdar felet, till exempel genom en reparation. 

  • Om det inte är möjligt att åtgärda att felet kan du kräva att få ett prisavdrag. Prisavdraget ska motsvara vad det kostar att få felet åtgärdat. 

  • Om varken en reparation eller ett prisavdrag är aktuellt kan du kräva att få häva köpet. Det innebär att du får lämna tillbaka varan till säljaren och att du får tillbaka pengarna. 

  • Du kan också kräva skadestånd från säljaren om du kan bevisa att du har fått merkostnader på grund av felet. Du måste i så fall kunna bevisa vilka kostnader du haft och att de kostnaderna har en direkt koppling till felet. 

Reklamera till säljaren 

Kontakta säljaren om det är fel på varan och du vill reklamera den. Förklara varför du anser att varan är felaktig och vilka krav du har på säljaren. Det är bra att klaga skriftligen så du har bevis. Du kan till exempel skicka e-post eller sms. 


I vissa fall säljs varor med en garanti. Det är inte säkert att en ursprunglig garanti följer med varan när du köper den av en annan privatperson. Det kan vara så att endast personen som har köpt varan från företaget kan använda garantin. Om garantin följer med till den nya ägaren eller inte beror på vad garantivillkoren säger. 

För att veta vad som gäller måste du alltså läsa garantivillkoren. Om du inte har tillgång till villkoren kan du vända dig till företaget som sålde varan. 

Har säljaren lovat dig en garanti och företaget säger nej är det till säljaren du får ställa dina krav. 

Ångerrätt vid privatköp 

Du har ingen ångerrätt enligt lag när du köper något av en privatperson. För att du ska ha ångerrätt måste du och säljaren ha kommit överens om det innan köpet. 

Ansvaret för transporten 

Ansvaret för varan går över från säljaren till köparen när varan är avlämnad. När en vara anses vara avlämnad beror på hur varan kommer till dig. 

Om du hämtar varan 

Om du hämtar varan hos säljaren, eller på en plats ni kommit överens om, går ansvaret för varan över till dig när du hämtat den. 

Om säljaren transporterar varan till dig 

Om säljaren transporterar varan till dig av säljaren är varan avlämnad först när den överlämnas till dig. Du tar då över ansvaret för varan. 

Om varan skickas med ett transportföretag 

När transporten sker med hjälp av ett transportföretag anses varan avlämnad till dig när säljaren lämnar den till transportören. Skadas eller försvinner varan på väg till dig kan du inte klaga till transportföretaget om det är säljaren som ordnat med frakten. Du kan endast reklamera, klaga, på transportföretaget om det är du som har ett avtal med dem.

Har du inget avtal med transportföretaget kan du ändå prova att kontakta dem för att se om de kan hjälpa dig på något sätt. Kontakta även säljaren för att se om hen kan hjälpa dig i kontakten med transportföretaget.

Via transportföretag och inom samma ort

När en vara lämnas till ett transportföretag och transporten sker inom samma ort sker avlämnandet först när varan har överlämnats till dig. Säljaren ansvarar då för eventuella transportskador och får kräva ersättning från transportföretaget. 

Vårdplikt – att ta hand om varan 

Enligt köplagen har både köpare och säljare en så kallad vårdplikt. Det betyder att säljaren ska ta hand om varan åt dig om du inte hämtar den i tid. Detsamma gäller om du fått varan, men av någon anledning ska lämna tillbaka den. Tills dess ska du ta hand om varan åt säljaren. 

Misstänkt bedrägeri 

Har du betalat för en vara men inte fått den, kan det vara fråga om bedrägeri. Börja med att kontakta säljaren och efterfråga din vara eller pengarna tillbaka. Hjälper inte det bör du göra en anmälan till polisen. 

Läs mer om bedrägeri på Polisens webbplats 

Om du behöver vägledning 

Eftersom konsumentlagstiftningen inte gäller vid köp mellan privatpersoner kan Hallå konsument bara ge grundläggande information om dina rättigheter och skyldigheter. 

Behöver du djupare informationen eller vill diskutera ditt enskilda fall kan du behöva vända dig till någon som är kunnig på området, till exempel en jurist. 

Kommunens konsumentvägledning

Många kommuner erbjuder konsumentvägledning. Dit kan du i vissa fall vända dig för kostnadsfri information och stöd vid privatköp. Vilken hjälp som erbjuds varierar från kommun till kommun.

Tvistlösning i domstol 

Om du och säljaren hamnar i en tvist som ni inte kan lösa är det en domstol, i första hand tingsrätten, som kan pröva tvisten. 

I ett sådant läge kan det vara värt att kontakta en jurist eller advokat som kan hjälpa dig att reda ut vilka krav du kan ställa och vilka möjligheter du har. Du kan kolla om du har något rättsskydd via ditt försäkringsbolag. Ibland kan rättsskyddet i försäkringen täcka vissa kostnader för exempelvis juridiskt ombud. 

Läs mer om tvistlösning i domstol 

Fäll ihop

Source: Konsumentverket

Proofread: 21 March 2024