Dissatisfaction with a subscription

Problem med abonnemang - Engelska

Learn about your rights when something is not working out with your subscription. For example, you may not have coverage, even though the carrier promises that you will be able to.

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Contact the company and raise the issue 

If your subscription is not working properly, you need to raise the issue with them, i.e. complain about it to your carrier. There are no specific requirements on how you need to or should raise the issue, but we recommend that you contact the company in writing, for example by e-mail. Then if necessary, you have evidence that you have raise the issue with them and when. You can also enclose supporting documents showing the problem you are having. 

If the company only has a contact form, you should take a screenshot or a picture of what you have written, so that you will have documentation later if needed. If you phone the company, it is advisable to summarise after the conversation what you discussed, and send it in an e-mail to the company. 

As a general rule, it is advisable to include the following information when contacting the company: 

  • customer number and civil registration number 

  • a clear and concise description of the problem/situation/fault 

  • what you want from the provider. 

If possible, document the problem in writing or with pictures 

Before contacting the company, consider how you can document the problem or malfunction. For example, you could take pictures or a video to show the lack of coverage, or the slow speed. Such documentation may be important if you and the company cannot reach an agreement on a mutually agreed solution. Therefore, retain all documentation. 

If you cannot come up with a good way of documenting the fault, you could describe it when you contact the company to register your complaint. 

What can you demand of the company in the event of a fault or defect? 

If you are seeking a remedy, it is important that you notify the company within two months of detecting the problem. If you wait longer, you risk losing your right to make a claim and demand a remedy from the company. 

First and foremost: that you get the situation remedied 

Rectifying the situation means that the company will correct the fault without additional charge to the consumer. The fault must be rectified, for instance by the item being repaired, at no additional cost to you, within a reasonable period of time from the date you registered your complaint about the fault. This is of course provided that the fault is due to something which the company or manufacturer is responsible for. As a general rule, the company has two attempts to rectify a fault. 


During the time there has been a default you have the right to receive a price reduction.


A rescission means that the purchase is annulled. If, after repeated attempts, the company is unable to remedy the situation resolving the problem, you may have the right to cancel the contract, without having to take any commitment period or notice period into account. 

If the purpose of the subscription is defeated because of the fault, and the provider of services has understood or should have understood this, you may be entitled to cancel the purchase even if the company has not yet had the opportunity to correct the fault. 

What about the payments that are due 

While the fault is unresolved, you may have the right to withhold as much of the payment as the fault represents, as security for your claim to have the fault corrected. This means that you can wait until the company resolves the problem before paying. The amount you can withhold depends on the particular situation and the nature of the problem. 

It is important that you notify the company that you are withholding payment with an explanation of why. If you have purchased on credit terms, for example against an invoice, you will need to inform both the company and the creditor that you are withholding payment. Remember to do this in writing; e-mail should be sufficient. 

You alternatively can choose to pay under protest. This means that you pay the amount due but at the same time inform the company that you are not satisfied with the situation. This can be the best option if you are unsure about your right to withhold payment, for example if the company does not think there is any problem with the subscription. When you pay under protest, you lodge a complaint but you don’t have to be concerned about possible late payment notice charges or interest on past due amounts. 

Have you suffered additional costs due to the fault? 

You should not have to incur any additional costs because of the fault. The company must bear the cost of remedying the fault plus any additional costs you have incurred. So that you can be reimbursed, you will need to be able to show documentation such as receipts, invoices or other evidence of the extra costs you have incurred. The costs must be reasonable and directly related to the fault. You cannot claim compensation for the inconvenience or time you spend complaining about the fault. 

Swedish Telecom Advisors provide advice and guidance 

The Swedish Telecom Advisors provide free and impartial advice to consumers concerning subscriptions for television, telephone service, and broadband and fibre internet service based on applicable legislation and the case decisions of the National Board for Consumer Disputes. 

After an initial complaint being filed, in most cases Swedish Telecom Advisors can assist in facilitating the dialogue between you and the provider of the services via a mediation-like procedure, with the goal of trying to find a resolution to the situation. The Swedish Telecom Advisors’ Rules of Conduct go beyond existing consumer legislation and may therefore be important to you if you end up in a dispute with a mobile phone, Internet or other provider. 

The Swedish Telecom Advisers (In Swedish)

The National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) 

If you have a dispute with a provider of services that is not a member of Swedish Telecom Advisors, you can file a complaint with the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN). ARN will assess your case and make a recommendation on how to resolve the dispute. The average processing time is about 6 months. 

When you submit your complaint, you will need to describe the situation and exactly what you want from the company. You can send supporting documents such as e-mails, pictures, screenshots, contracts and other evidence. 

Requirements for the National Board for Consumer Disputes to be able to review your case: 

  • You have filed a complaint within one year from the date you first notified the company of the problem. 

  • The amount you and the company are in dispute about is SEK 500 or more (different value thresholds apply for different fields). 

  • The company has rejected your requests in whole or in part, or it has failed to respond to you within 30 days. 

Submit an application on ARN’s website 

Problem med abonnemang 

Läs om dina rättigheter när ditt abonnemang inte fungerar som det ska. Det kan till exempel vara att du inte har täckning trots att operatören sagt att det ska finnas. 

Kontakta företaget och klaga 

Fungerar inte ditt abonnemang som det ska behöver du reklamera (klaga på) det till din operatör. Det finns inga krav på hur du ska reklamera, men vi rekommenderar att du kontaktar företaget skriftligen till exempel via mejl. Då kan du bevisa att och när du har klagat. Du kan också bifoga underlag som visar felet. 

Om företaget bara har ett kontaktformulär behöver du ta en skärmbild eller fotografera det du skriver som bevis. Om du ringer företaget kan det vara bra att du efter samtalet sammanfattar vad ni diskuterade, och skicka i ett mejl till företaget. 

Det är bra att ha med följande uppgifter när du kontaktar företaget: 

  • kundnummer och personnummer 

  • en tydlig och kortfattad beskrivning av problemet 

  • vad du kräver av operatören. 

Dokumentera felet om det är möjligt 

Fundera över om du kan dokumentera felet innan du kontaktar företaget. Du kan till exempel ta bilder eller filma för att visa på bristfällig täckning eller hastighet. Sådan dokumentation kan bli viktig om du och företaget inte kommer överens. Spara därför allt underlag. 

Finns det inget bra sätt att dokumentera felet på kan du beskriva felet när du kontaktar företaget för att klaga. 

Vad kan du kräva av företaget vid fel? 

Det är viktigt att du klagar inom två månader från det att du upptäckte felet. Väntar du längre kan du förlora din rätt att kräva något av företaget. 

I första hand: att du får felet åtgärdat 

Att felet åtgärdas innebär att företaget kostnadsfritt rättar till felet. Ett fel ska åtgärdas utan någon kostnad för dig och inom skälig tid från den dag du reklamerade felet. En förutsättning att felet beror på något de ansvarar för. Företaget har i regel två försök på sig att åtgärda ett fel. 

I andra hand: att du får ett prisavdrag 

Efter att felet är löst kan du ha rätt till ett prisavdrag som motsvarar felet och den tid det varade. 

I tredje hand: att du får häva köpet 

En hävning betyder att köpet återgår. Om företaget efter upprepade försök inte kan lösa felet kan du ha rätt att häva avtalet, utan att behöva ta hänsyn till bindningstid eller uppsägningstid. 

Om syftet med abonnemanget är förlorat på grund av felet, och operatören insett eller borde insett detta, kan du ha rätt att häva köpet även om företaget inte har försökt rätta till felet två gånger än. 

Så gör du med betalningen 

Under tiden felet pågår kan du ha rätt att hålla inne så stor del av betalningen som felet motsvarar, som säkerhet för ditt krav att få felet åtgärdat. Det betyder att du kan vänta med att betala tills företaget löser problemet. Hur stor summa du kan hålla inne beror på vilken typ av fel det handlar om. 

Det är viktigt att du meddelar företaget att du håller inne betalning och varför. Har du handlat på kredit, till exempel på faktura, behöver du meddela både företaget och kreditgivaren att du håller inne betalningen. Tänk på att ta kontakt skriftligen, till exempel via mejl. 

Du kan också välja att betala under protest. Det betyder att du betalar men samtidigt meddelar företaget att du inte är nöjd. Det kan vara ett bra alternativ om du är osäker på din rätt att hålla inne betalningen, till exempel om företaget inte tycker att abonnemanget är felaktig. När du betalar under protest kan du klaga men slipper oroa dig för eventuella påminnelseavgifter och dröjsmålsränta. 

Har du drabbats av kostnader på grund av felet? 

Du ska inte få några extra kostnader på grund av felet. Företaget ska stå för kostnaden att åtgärda felet och eventuella merkostnader. För att få ersättning behöver du kunna visa underlag på vilka extra kostnader du haft, till exempel kvitton, fakturor eller andra intyg. Kostnaderna ska vara rimliga och ha direkt koppling till felet. Du kan inte kräva ersättning för besväret eller tiden du lägger ner på att klaga på felet. 

Telekområdgivarna ger vägledning 

Telekområdgivarna ger opartisk och kostnadsfri rådgivning till konsumenter om abonnemang för tv, telefoni, bredband och fiber utifrån gällande lagstiftning och praxis i Allmänna reklamationsnämnden. 

Genom ett medlingsliknande förfarande kan Telekområdgivarna, efter en inledande reklamation, i de flesta fall hjälpa till i dialogen mellan dig och operatören för att försöka hitta en lösning. Telekområdgivarnas uppföranderegler går utöver gällande konsumentlagstiftning och kan därför vara viktiga för dig om du hamnar i en tvist med en operatör. 


Allmänna reklamationsnämnden 

Har du en tvist med en operatör som inte är medlem hos Telekområdgivarna kan du göra en anmälan till Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN). ARN bedömer ditt ärende och lämnar en rekommendation om hur tvisten ska lösas. En normal handläggningstid är cirka 6 månader. 

När du gör din anmälan beskriver du situationen och vad du kräver av företaget. Du kan skicka in underlag som mejl, bilder, avtal och andra bevis. 

Krav för att ARN ska kunna pröva ditt ärende: 
  • Du anmäler inom ett år från det att du klagade till företaget första gången. 

  • Summan som du och företaget är oense om är 500 kronor eller mer (olika värdegränser gäller för olika områden). 

  • Företaget har sagt helt eller delvis nej till dina krav, eller inte svarat dig inom 30 dagar. 

Gör en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats 

Fäll ihop

Source: Konsumentverket

Proofread: 10 June 2024