Late delivery of an item

If you have ordered an item and the company does not deliver it in time, this is known as a delay. Unless you have agreed otherwise, the company must deliver an item no later than 30 days after the agreement is entered.

If you do not receive your item in time you can:

  •  Withhold payment
  •  Demand that the company meets the purchase
  • Cancel the purchase if the delay will have a considerable impact on you
  •  Require damages for costs you have incurred as a result of the delay

Withhold payment

The Consumer Sales Act states that you have the right to withhold payment as security so the company will deliver your item. Remember to inform the company in writing if you are going to withhold payment. If you have purchased an item on credit, for example by requesting an invoice or payment in instalments, you have the same right to withhold payment to the credit provider. In this case, both the company and the credit provider must be informed.

Demand that the company meets the purchase

You have the right to demand that the company keeps to their side of the agreement and delivers your item. If the item is delayed, you need to contact the company and complain about the delay. Remember to make written contact, ideally via email. Provide the company with an extension, i.e., a final date for when the item must have been delivered to you. Keep in mind that the extension may not be too short – the company must be given a reasonable chance to deliver the item.

Cancel the purchase 

If you have provided the company with an extension but the item has still not been delivered, you have the right to cancel the purchase.

If the delay has a significant impact on you, you have the right to cancel the purchase even if you have not provided the company with an extension. For example, you might have informed the company prior to the order that the delivery date is vital for your purchase.

In some cases, it might be obvious that a delay is significant without you having informed the company, for example if you have ordered a wedding dress.


If you incur costs as a result of the delay, you can demand damages. The law states that you may receive compensation for actual costs – you do not have the right to compensation for the time you have waited. You must also be able to prove which costs you have incurred, for example by providing receipts.

More about the Consumer Sales Act

(The link redirects to a website in English)

If you and the company disagree

If you and the company disagree, you can submit a report to the Swedish National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) to have the dispute assessed.

More about how to submit a report on the ARN website

(The link redirects to a website in English)