Late delivery of a service

Sen leverans av tjänst - Engelska

The company shall complete the service within the time the company promised or that you have agreed on. If there is no promised time, the service shall be completed within a reasonable amount of time considering what kind of service it is.

Cooperation: This page is part of the European Union's Consumer Program (2014-2020).

Translated page: This text has been translated from Swedish. The text and appearance of the page may look different from the original page.

Services covered by the Consumer Services Act

This information applies for services covered by the Consumer Services Act. This law applies to:

  • Work on movable property. For example, repairs to a car or TV.

  • Work on fixed property, to buildings or other facilities on land or in the water or on other fixed property. For example, house renovations or painting work.

  • Storage of movable property. For example, storage of furniture or boats.

  • The law does not apply to treatments for animals or people, such as hairdressing services or veterinary services. Nor does it apply in transport assignments, such as furniture removal.

When is a service considered delayed?

According to the Consumer Services Act, a service is counted as delayed if any of the following situations arise:

  • If the service is not done within the time promised or that you have agreed on.

  • There is no promised time for when the service shall be done, but the service is not done within a reasonable amount of time considering the service’s scope and nature.

What can you demand of the company?

The Consumer Services Act governs what you can demand.

The company shall complete the service

You have a right to demand that the company keep its part of the agreement and complete the work. At the same time, you have a possibility to demand compensation on the basis of expenses you incurred as a result of the delay, and to withhold the payment. You have the same rights if the service has not been started within the agreed period of time.

Revocation in the event of a delay of major importance

Revoking the agreement means that the work is discontinued, and that you are not obliged to pay for the service. The company then also has no obligation to complete the work. In order for you to be entitled to revoke the agreement, the delay must be of major importance to you – or of substantial importance as the law states. This may, for example, involve the delay having a major impact on your daily life. It is you who needs to be able to show or argue for why the delay is of substantial importance to you.

Right to cancellation

In addition to revocation, cancellation is another way to withdraw from the agreement. As long as the service is not completed, cancellation is a right you have under the Consumer Services Act. This may be an alternative if the delay were not to be of substantial importance, but you nonetheless want to withdraw from the agreement.

It is important to be aware that upon a cancellation you are obliged to pay for the work that is already done and for work that must be done despite the cancellation. The company may also have a right to compensation for unrealised profit, meaning for them being unable to book other jobs. However, it is up to the company to prove that they performed work before you cancelled.

Even in the cases the company set a cancellation cost in advance, they must be able to prove that work was done and that the cost is reasonable in relation to that work.

Right to withhold payment

If the company has not begun or completed the service within the right time, you have the right to withhold part or all of the payment as security. This serves as a means of pressure on the company and a security for you.

The part of the payment you withhold should correspond to the work that is left to do. This essentially means that you can withhold such a large amount that it covers the cost to bring in another company that can complete the work.

It is important that you notify the company in writing that you are withholding payment and why. You can send an email, for example.

Compensation on the grounds of the delay

It is the company that must cover any expenses you incur due to the work being delayed. Examples of expenses may be:

  • Loss of income if you have to stay home from work to receive the company

  • Compensation to other companies that are forced to wait with their work because the service in question is delayed (can for example become relevant for major work when several companies are involved)

By law, it is actual costs, not the trouble or the time you spend on the complaint, that you can demand compensation for. You need to be able to present documentation, such as receipts or invoices, on what costs you have had and the costs must be reasonable and have a direct connection to the defect.

Write to the company and demand that the work is finished

Contact the company in writing, such as by email or text message, and demand that the work be completed. Write the date by which the work should have been finished (if you had a promised delivery date), and explain why it is important that the work is completed as soon as possible. You can also request a date for when the work will be finished no later than. It is only if the delay is of substantial importance for you that you can demand to revoke the agreement.

If you intend to revoke the agreement

When you intend to revoke the agreement, it is important that you contact the company in writing, such as by email or text messaging. Explain that you want to revoke the agreement on the grounds of the delay, and why the delay is of substantial importance to you. If you paid for the work and think that the agreement shall be revoked in its entirety, you can at the same time demand that the company make repayment.

Sometimes only part of the agreement is revoked

In some situations, only a part of the agreement is revoked, such as if you may benefit from the work that has been done. Then, you may need to pay as much as corresponds to that part of the work.

If you do not reach an agreement with the company

If you need guidance, you can contact Hallå konsument [Hello Consumer]. We are a national information service that can provide information on your rights and what options you have to make progress. We provide independent guidance and therefore cannot assess your individual matter, resolve disputes or contact companies for you.

Contact information to Hallå konsument

If you and the company do not agree, you can in many cases file a report with the National Board for Consumer Disputes (ARN) to have the dispute tried. It is free of charge.

Read more about filing a report on the ARN website

To be able to file a report to ARN, the company must have said partly or entirely no to your requirement, or has not responded at all.

Tjänster som omfattas av konsumenttjänstlagen 

Den här informationen gäller för tjänster som omfattas av konsumenttjänstlagen. Lagen gäller för: 

  • Arbete på lösa saker. Till exempel reparation av bil eller tv. 

  • Arbete på fast egendom, på byggnader eller andra anläggningar på mark eller i vatten eller på andra fasta saker. Till exempel husrenoveringar eller målningsarbeten. 

  • Förvaring av lösa saker. Till exempel magasinering av möbler eller förvaring av båt. 

 Lagen gäller inte behandlingar på djur eller människor, till exempel frisörtjänster eller veterinärtjänster. Den gäller heller inte vid transportuppdrag, till exempel möbelflyttning. 

När räknas en tjänst som försenad? 

Enligt konsumenttjänstlagen räknas en tjänst som försenad om någon av följande situationer uppstår: 

  • Om tjänsten inte är utförd inom den tid som har utlovats eller som ni har kommit överens om 

  • Det finns ingen utlovad tid för när tjänsten ska vara klar, men tjänsten är inte utförd inom rimlig tid med tanke på tjänstens omfattning och karaktär 

Vad kan du kräva av företaget? 

Konsumenttjänstlagen styr vad du kan kräva. 

Företaget ska slutföra tjänsten 

Du har rätt att kräva att företaget håller sin del av avtalet och slutför arbetet. Samtidigt har du möjlighet att kräva ersättning på grund av kostnader du drabbas av till följd av förseningen, och att hålla inne med betalningen. Du har samma rättigheter om tjänsten inte har blivit påbörjad inom den överenskomna tiden. 

Hävning vid försening av stor betydelse 

Att häva avtalet innebär att arbetet avbryts, och att du inte är skyldig att betala för tjänsten. Företaget har då heller ingen skyldighet att slutföra arbetet. För att du ska ha rätt att häva avtalet behöver förseningen vara av stor betydelse för dig – eller av väsentlig betydelse som det står i lagen. Det kan till exempel handla om att förseningen har stor påverkan på din vardag. Det är du som behöver kunna bevisa eller argumentera för varför förseningen är av väsentlig betydelse för dig. 

Rätt till avbeställning 

Utöver hävning är avbeställning ett annat sätt att frånträda avtalet. Så länge tjänsten inte är slutförd är avbeställning en rättighet du har enligt konsumenttjänstlagen. Det kan vara ett alternativ om förseningen inte skulle vara av väsentlig betydelse men du ändå vill komma ifrån avtalet.

Det är viktigt att känna till att du vid en avbeställning är skyldig att bland annat betala för det arbete som redan är utfört och för arbete som måste utföras trots avbeställningen. Företaget kan även ha rätt till ersättning för utebliven vinst, det vill säga för att de inte har kunnat boka in sig på andra jobb. Däremot är det upp till företaget att bevisa att de har utfört arbete innan du avbeställde. 

Även i de fall när företaget på förhand har bestämt en avbeställningskostnad måste de kunna bevisa att arbete har utförts och att kostnaden är rimlig i förhållande till det arbetet.  

Rätt att hålla inne betalning 

Om företaget inte har påbörjat eller slutfört tjänsten inom rätt tid har du rätt att hålla inne med en del eller hela betalningen som säkerhet. Det fungerar som ett påtryckningsmedel mot företaget och en trygghet för dig. 

Den del av betalningen du håller inne med ska motsvara arbetet som är kvar att göra. I princip betyder det att du kan hålla inne med en så stor summa att det täcker kostnaden för att ta in ett annat företag som får slutföra arbetet. 

Det är viktigt att du skriftligen meddelar företaget att du håller inne med betalning och varför. Du kan till exempel skicka ett mejl.  

Ersättning på grund av förseningen 

 Det är företaget som ska stå för eventuella kostnader som du drabbas av på grund av arbetet är försenat. Exempel på kostnader kan vara: 

  • Inkomstförlust om du måste vara hemma från jobbet för att ta emot företaget 

  • Ersättning till andra företag som tvingas vänta med sitt arbete på grund av att den aktuella tjänsten är försenad (kan till exempel bli aktuellt vid större arbeten när flera företag är inblandade) 

Enligt lag är det faktiska kostnader, inte besväret eller tiden du lägger ned på reklamationen, som du kan kräva ersättning för. Du behöver kunna visa underlag, till exempel kvitton eller fakturor, på vilka kostnader du har haft och kostnaderna ska vara rimliga och ha direkt koppling till felet.  

Skriv till företaget och kräv att arbetet slutförs 

Kontakta företaget skriftligen, till exempel via mejl eller sms, och kräv att arbetet slutförs. Skriv med vilket datum arbetet skulle ha varit klart (om du har fått ett utlovat leveransdatum), och förklara varför det är viktigt att arbetet slutförs så snart som möjligt. Du kan också efterfråga ett datum för när arbetet senast kommer vara klart. Det är först om förseningen är av väsentlig betydelse för dig som du kan kräva att få häva avtalet.  

Om du ska häva avtalet 

När du ska häva avtalet är det viktigt att du kontaktar företaget skriftligen, till exempel via mejl eller sms. Förklara att du vill häva avtalet på grund av förseningen, och varför förseningen är av väsentlig betydelse för dig. Har du betalat för arbetet och tycker att avtalet ska hävas i sin helhet kan du samtidigt begära att företaget betalar tillbaka. 

Ibland hävs bara en del av avtalet 

I vissa situationer kan det vara så att endast en del av avtalet hävs, till exempel om du kan ha nytta av arbetet som har blivit utfört. Då kan du behöva betala så mycket som den delen av arbetet motsvarar. 

Om du inte kommer överens med företaget 

Om du behöver vägledning kan du kontakta Hallå konsument. Vi är en nationell upplysningstjänst som kan ge information om dina rättigheter och vilka alternativ du har för att komma vidare. Vi ger oberoende vägledning och kan därför inte bedöma ditt enskilda ärende, lösa tvister eller kontakta företag åt dig. 

Kontaktuppgifter till Hallå konsument  

Om du och företaget inte kommer överens kan du i många fall göra en anmälan till Allmänna reklamationsnämnden (ARN) för att få tvisten prövad. Det är kostnadsfritt.

Läs mer om att göra en anmälan på ARN:s webbplats

För att kunna anmäla till ARN måste företaget ha sagt helt eller delvis nej till ditt krav, eller inte svarat alls.

Fäll ihop

Source: KonsumentverketECC Sverige

Proofread: 15 February 2022

This page was funded by the European Union's Consumer Programme (2014-2020). ECC Sweden is a part of the European Consumer Centres Network, but also a part of the Swedish Consumer Agency’s information service Hello Consumer. At ECC Sweden, consumers who made cross-border purchases within the EU, Iceland, Norway or the UK can get free help and advice from our legal advisers.

This website is part of an EU quality Network

Your Europe is an EU website that will help you do things in other European countries - without hassle or unnecessary bureaucracy. Information on Your Europe is provided by the relevant departments of the European Commission and complemented by content provided by the authorities in every country it covers.To Your Europe website